Smoked Brisket for St. Patrick's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
I'm Irish, corned beef and cabbage is not; so I smoked a beef brisket for St. Paddy's Day..... I used my electric Bradley smoker. This in only the second brisket I've done. All I could get was a 5.36 lb brisket, it was Choice grade, though. I prepared it by covering in mustard, then a dry rub, overnight in fridge, smoking with mesquite and oak ( Bradley bisquettes ) at average temp of 210 degrees until internal temp was 190. Pulled from smoker and put in foil until dinner time. I dined alone, dinner was a couple slices of brisket, a couple shots of Bushmills and Guinness draft, no fancy plating shots. It tastes great, the meat didn't "shred" when sliced..... no smoke ring though... Isn't there supposed to be one? I'm wondering if it's because of the type of smoker I have.

Well, you're right, it tasted very good. I liked the texture also; the first brisket I smoked I pulled it from smoker after about 6 hrs., then put in foil pan with a bottle of Alaskan White, covered tight and put in oven at 200 degrees for several hours. It was good but "shredded" when you tried to cut it. I like the slices...

I haven't even seen the northern lights once this year ! They must be with my smoke ring :LOL:

You know Bushmills is from Northern Ireland, not free Ireland don't' you? You're right, I've been in Ireland on two St. Paddy's days and no one there has ever eaten corned beef and cabbage. But your brisket looks great. Smoke ring has no taste anyway. And the last time I check we're not in Ireland. The brisket looked great Karen.

Griff said:
You know Bushmills is from Northern Ireland, not free Ireland don't' you? You're right, I've been in Ireland on two St. Paddy's days and no one there has ever eaten corned beef and cabbage. But your brisket looks great. Smoke ring has no taste anyway. And the last time I check we're not in Ireland. The brisket looked great Karen.

Thanks Griff. Yup, I knew it was from Northern Ireland. Supposedly my grandfather was from the Northern side, never been confirmed though; but I can see it ! LOL

I know, when I was in Ireland I never saw corned beef on the menu!

Nice job on the brisket..If it tastes good and is tender to cut you did just fine. I have smokey mountain electric that I cant get a smoke ring out of either but the flavor is great. Try using the pellets in your electric instead of soaked wood chips. I tried it one day just to see if it would work and it was great. 1/3 cup of pellets in the hotl plate smoked for several hours...i would never go back to wood chips now.

hawk wild bbq co said:
Nice job on the brisket..If it tastes good and is tender to cut you did just fine. I have smokey mountain electric that I cant get a smoke ring out of either but the flavor is great. Try using the pellets in your electric instead of soaked wood chips. I tried it one day just to see if it would work and it was great. 1/3 cup of pellets in the hotl plate smoked for several hours...i would never go back to wood chips now.

I can't use pellets; Bradley's use their own "bisquettes"; they are hockey puck shaped compressed wood chips, and they are auto fed. Real easy to use, and the flavor really is good; but ya, no smoke rings.
I still want a "real" wood smoker one day; that's my goal ! Thanks for the reply, I'm always interested in smoking tips and suggestions.

Griff said:

So, what was it like there on St. Patty's day ?

Of all the times my smoke ring was found lacking it was directly due to some kind of funky marinate or soak I had been tole to try. Now on the little electrics I cant say for sure. My electrical Brinkmann Gourmet put a ring on there like a log burner. Course it will burn small logs is prob why. If it just wont make one use the old Tenderquick trick. Sprinkle heavy on the lean side and let set 20 mins then wash it off with a garden hose. Continueth to prep as desired. Give you a nice pink smoke ring about half an inch deep. Bunch of the old time cheaters used that trick:)

bigwheel said:
Of all the times my smoke ring was found lacking it was directly due to some kind of funky marinate or soak I had been tole to try. Now on the little electrics I cant say for sure. My electrical Brinkmann Gourmet put a ring on there like a log burner. Course it will burn small logs is prob why. If it just wont make one use the old Tenderquick trick. Sprinkle heavy on the lean side and let set 20 mins then wash it off with a garden hose. Continueth to prep as desired. Give you a nice pink smoke ring about half an inch deep. Bunch of the old time cheaters used that trick:)

Thanks for the tip ! hahahaha "Bunch of old time cheaters...." sounds like the fleet of fishermen I hang around with !

john pen said:
Griff said:

So, what was it like there on St. Patty's day ?

It's a national holiday with parades and a lot of traditional music in the pubs. It's a blast.

Well I got a good cyber pal who is a Fishman from Maine. He is kin to the bunch of them who kilt all the GA field hands at Ghettysburgh. He say them who fishes for a living is a special breed who will either drink a beer with ya or fight with ya..not necessarily in that order. I meet a Fishman I always try to buy him/her a beer:) Now dont even get me started on tall tales about Shrimpers down at Corpus. They is a wild bunch. Worse than bbq cooks I think.

friesian_rain said:
bigwheel said:

Thanks for the tip ! hahahaha "Bunch of old time cheaters...." sounds like the fleet of fishermen I hang around with !

Back
Top Bottom