Smoked & pulled briskit with Big Ron's Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
The rub has very little salt & pour's great, Most rubs clump up down here.
The finished briskit was falling apart. I took both 1/2's up too 195, foiled & let rest, it was a 10lb whole packer. Maybe the lack of salt in the rub made it so tender? My smoker held 275 & it took 8 hours to hit 195.
It was damm good too

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6X5_kl5zE70&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6X5_kl5zE70&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Og8lDwJEZh8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Og8lDwJEZh8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

img_192881_0_316cccd3097a4ce4f7b6d9b7529db498.jpg

img_192881_1_8d700d24160135225f66e2a50a80a5f4.jpg

img_192881_2_dc6ed7acce0bf849d462ced7b7e460dc.jpg

img_192881_3_bdb296e8eae8045aa4370ea291ff71c5.jpg

img_192881_4_8aeec8980e67614e7f033a4178adb5eb.jpg

img_192881_5_2ad47adc3d6c57b8d8331626cdbe72bf.jpg

img_192881_6_3d7379d1eecfcfa7104bf4328f56778f.jpg

img_192881_7_36ef2f74891881f33e5d74773a39400b.jpg

That brisket looks delicious. I checked the local Super Target after your post the other day but as usual they didn't have any here. For some reason brisket is hard to find around here and when you do it is usually pricey and has been cut into pieces to package.

I think as they flow up north from Texas you boys buy them all up and they never make it to the Hoosier state. :LOL:

Nice Job! :D

Cliff H. said:
Nice work JB.

How did the flat come out ?

Falling apart,
I had to use spatchulas to remove em from the smoker.

Tong's mashed through the meat :shock:

I've had em tender before but never like this.

I guessing it was the rub's low salt???

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Cliff H.":2nekeq92]Nice work JB.

How did the flat come out ?

Falling apart,
I had to use spatchulas to remove em from the smoker.

Tong's mashed through the meat :shock:

I've had em tender before but never like this.

I guessing it was the rub's low salt???[/quote:2nekeq92]

JB, lack of salt has nothing to do with it being 'too tender' and falling apart, overcooking does. Temperature should be used as a guide to determine doneness, not as a rule. I generally begin to check for doneness around 180º-185º on briskets and have had them done (tender) at that point. Check for doneness early to avoid overcooking and a falling apart brisket. Each piece of meat will be somewhat different and if you go by temperatures alone, your finished product will vary everytime.

LOOKS GREAT! Yes not much salt in my rub, may help to not dry out the meat. I will be doing a brisket for the 4th, they went on sale here at Walmart for $.86 lb.

Got to watch the video during lunch today. I will have to try that pimento cheese slaw. Sounds awsome. I may also do some ABT's with pimento cheese for the 4th. Glad you liked the rub and thanks for the kind words. Back to work now.

Larry,
If possible, can you xplain doneness and how you know they will be tender at the lower temp of 180* or so. I've always gone by temp and shoot fer 192 at the least as I've always thought they HAD to reach that temp to break down...
Thanks,
dj

Great Lookin Brisket JB

JB, lack of salt has nothing to do with it being 'too tender' and falling apart, overcooking does. Temperature should be used as a guide to determine doneness, not as a rule. I generally begin to check for doneness around 180º-185º on briskets and have had them done (tender) at that point. Check for doneness early to avoid overcooking and a falling apart brisket. Each piece of meat will be somewhat different and if you go by temperatures alone, your finished product will vary everytime.

Sam's Club

RubThatButt said:
That brisket looks delicious. I checked the local Super Target after your post the other day but as usual they didn't have any here. For some reason brisket is hard to find around here and when you do it is usually pricey and has been cut into pieces to package.

I think as they flow up north from Texas you boys buy them all up and they never make it to the Hoosier state. :LOL:

Nice Job! :D
Try Sam's Club. They have been $1.70 lb for about the last year here in Columbus IN.

Everything looks good JB. Try some Maries Poppyseed coleslaw dressing and some sweetened dry cranberries in your coleslaw. Yuuummmmmyyyyy!!!!!!!

DJ said:
Larry,
If possible, can you xplain doneness and how you know they will be tender at the lower temp of 180* or so. I've always gone by temp and shoot fer 192 at the least as I've always thought they HAD to reach that temp to break down...
Thanks,
dj

You can determine 'doneness' by probing the meat with either a meat probe or fork. The probe or fork should go in with minimal resistance. If you wait until the brisket is fully tender and the probe goes in with no resistance (like a hot knife going through butter) and let it rest in foil for an extended period of time, you will end up with a falling apart brisket. However, if you pull it while there is still very little resistance and let it rest, it will be perfectly tender AFTER the rest and slicable.

You can't necessarily 'know' when the meat will be tender, whether it's at 180º or at 205º, that's why I like to check early before it's tender. I can't really explain why one brisket is 'done at 180º and one is done at 190º, etc......but if you go by temp to determine doneness, your results will vary.

Larry,
Thanks for the reply! Makes perfect sense, just never gave it any thought.
Thanks again
dj

Yes it does make perfect sense

Larry Wolfe said:
DJ said:
Larry,
Thanks,
dj

You can determine 'doneness' by probing the meat with either a meat probe or fork. The probe or fork should go in with minimal resistance. If you wait until the brisket is fully tender and the probe goes in with no resistance (like a hot knife going through butter) and let it rest in foil for an extended period of time, you will end up with a falling apart brisket. However, if you pull it while there is still very little resistance and let it rest, it will be perfectly tender AFTER the rest and slicable.

You can't necessarily 'know' when the meat will be tender, whether it's at 180º or at 205º, that's why I like to check early before it's tender. I can't really explain why one brisket is 'done at 180º and one is done at 190º, etc......but if you go by temp to determine doneness, your results will vary.

Excellent advice. Kind of like "Let off the gas and let it coast on in"[/img]

Back
Top Bottom