Smoke on the Porch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
After finally getting my smoker all cleaned up and all the creasote removed I decided to fire it up again. I plan to pay closer attention to the wood.

Two butts rubbed and ready. One with "Wild" and one with Wolfe Rub Original.

Doing overnight tonight so I will take more pics in the am.

I am experimenting with an 18" pizza stone. I foiled it and placed it were the water pan goes. I then put sand in the wsm pan and set it on top of the stone. I am trying to keep spikes to a minimum.

I am going to continue my quest for a heat barrier besides water that will keep the temps at low and slow levels.

The stone was very slow to heat up but thru the night the temps rose to 280 with all the vents 1/8 open.

No big deal since I was doing butts. They both were in the 180 deg range this moring at 7:00 am.

I am using a combo of sand and stone for this cook. Everything started out great but once the sand/stone got hot and the meat came up to temp then the temps went up.

Keep in mind that I cleaned the wsm to the point of out of the box condition before this cook so there were those first cook issues that happend also.

Cliff H. said:
I am using a combo of sand and stone for this cook. Everything started out great but once the sand/stone got hot and the meat came up to temp then the temps went up.

Keep in mind that I cleaned the wsm to the point of out of the box condition before this cook so there were those first cook issues that happend also.
At what temp did you shut down the dampers?
With sand in the pan I shut them almost all the way down around 200* then it sits at 225* where I like it...it' stays there for the majority of the cook....

Shut down a at 195 to 1/2 then an hour later when temps approached 250 I shut them down to 1/8. At 12:30 am temp was at 247. At 6:00 am temp was at 280. I shut one vent completely off and temps fell back to 260 range.

These are all dome temps so I know that temps were between 240 and 270 at the grate.

Cliff, I have found that you may have to adjust the top vents to control the heat. Give that a try to lower the temps.

After about 13 hours the larger of the two was at 195 and the smaller one at 197. I have them resting for a few hours. No issues with buildup on this cook. One thing I did was to bust the chunks down a bit smaller than I would use otherwise.

D.Harris said:
Cliff, I use 2 Brinkman charcoal pans and a 14" terra cotta saucer. I place 4 x one inch c-clamps on the lip of one of the pans and place it in the cooker. I then set the second pan on top of the c-clamps, this gives me about 3/4 of an inch clearence between the two. I then foil the terra cotta saucer and place it on top of the second pan to catch all the drippings. You can still place the second grate on top of the terra cotta saucer and cook just the same on it. Cleanup is as easy as removing the foil from the saucer.

Any reason for not using the 16" or larger saucer?

That is my next experiment. I have one Brinkman pan and the original wsm pan. I figure it will have a larger air gap with two unevenly sized pans.

Have you tried that ?

Looks good Cliff. Glad you got rid of the buildup problem ;)

When I first read the title to the topic I thought Greg had posted it :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom