Smoke in General

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chemical reaction that results in smoke ring are present in wood smoke environments, but other places as well.
In other words...all dogs are animals, but not all animals are dogs.
Smoke is absolutely not necessary for smoke ring formation....which
is why KCBS judges are taught not to consider the presence, or lack thereof, in judging. Applying tenderquick or similar substances
will give you the chemical reaction needed for smoke ring.
I've never tried it, but my understanding from the article is that
if you apply the curing agents to the meat and put it in your crockpot
with the specifications needed to create a smokering...you'll get it.

This is a good discussion, but again, while smoke helps create a smoke ring because the necessary factors are present in most smoke environments, it is not the cause of the smoke ring.

I hear ya, Cappy, and I dont want to sound like a lawyer splitting hairs, but the article says that smoke - due to the nitrogen that it produces - when combined with oxygen is a cause of a smoke rings. Thus, it is a cause of a smoke ring - though, as you so very clearly articulated, it is not the only cause.

I hope this conversation is more interesting than annoying. I am having fun with it :D

actually, it doesn't really matter what causes a smoke ring.
It has no flavor. But for those who want to know, I'm glad the
facts are out there. Interesting about Stogie's gas oven.

That said, regardless of what judges are instructed, I believe they
subconsciously view a pronounced smoke ring as a benefit.
I've never used a chemical to induce it in a comp..yet.

That pic I posted of the butts with the ring on the gasser...it was
below freezing when we put them on....it took a long time for the
internals to get to 140, thus the large ring. So in comps, I've been
known to keep my meat as cold as possible to get a better ring.

Stoges, I only know that I have never heard the comment about the meat being "too smokey" in the 6,000 + meals I have served over the past 5 years. Could be nobody wanted to insult me? I do foil most of the time and that could be the reason. I also still disagree with the idea that the meat continues to "absorb" smoke. It will not "absorb" smoke anymore that it would "absorb" water. The flavor of the smoke is on the surface. I would bet that, if you carefully trimmed the top 1/16" " from a brisket all around, you would never taste the smoke. your friend and ardent admirer, Woodman

I agree Stogie, "accumulating on the surface" will continue as long as the meat is in the smoke. WM

ps. Rag, usually, the guy who first starts throwin the "gay" moniker out there (like Rempe) is the biggest one of all. Am I right? I think so....... ;)

Conclusion?????

I gotta go with Witt. Fast moving smoke don't stick like slow moving smoke.

Example:

Large stick burner will go through whole logs cut to size over whatever period of time you cook to not only keep the heat up, but apply smokey flavor. Granted there are some real nice conservative stick burners out there with insulated fire boxes and all, but they still use a BUNCH of wood compared to different pits.

Ceramic pits may only require a hand full of wood for the same amount of smoke flavor.

Insulated smokers maybe even less wood for the same amount of smoke flavor.

The pit will determine how much smoking wood you use and whether or not it is dual purpose, heat and smoke, or just for flavor.

The rate at which the smokey air moves through the pit determines the contact time with the meat.

And for the record, I do agree with the science of smoke and smoke rings.

But the issue as to how much wood for smoke is only learned the hard way. COOK on your pit and taste it.

Back
Top Bottom