Smoke Grilling Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have wanted to give sausage making a try for a long time. Want to make cheese too, that can be $$$. I am into so much stuff my head is numb. Gonna order the book and see what its all about.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Get a catalog from here. It's free. http://sausagemaker.com/ Google sausage and have a good time. If you need a grinder, Let me know. I have a few extra hand crankers kicking around. It's a good time. If your lazy and have a Kitchen Aid mixer, The grinder stuffer works good on that also.

I heard the KitchenAid attachment was kinda hard to use. You don't think so Pigs? I've been toying with the idea of getting the attachments for mine til someone said Don't...get a real one.

Not really, Trick of using the KA is to Get 3 milk crates and put the mixer on that next to your counter. That way the grinder attachment is not so high up to handle things. I have one friend that moves the kitchen table over next to his counter top. That way you can have one person feeding the grinder and the other stuffing casing at the other end coiling up the sausage as it fills. Get what I mean? In other words, The mixer is lower and the grinding / stuffing head is about 10 inches from your finish/work space.

Now that's a neat idea, Pigs ~ Thanks! One thing I keep hearing that people don't like about the KA attachment is the chute is too small.

Well if your going to make more than 25 pound of sausage at a time, I would say it's a little small. Otherwise it works great. Here's another little hint, Say you want to make about 10 pounds of sausage.Your local Wally World will grind it for you. I see 2 packs of bone in butts all the time there, Ask them to grind one and package the other. I do that every year at deer season. Why should I beat up my grinder when they will grind it for FREE.I had them grind a case (about 60 pounds) one time. The butcher guy said " Cant do it, We only grind beef." Got a hold of the manager, Got it done. Saved a ton of time not to mention the wear and tear on my grinder. Stuffing with the KA is best done on full speed. You need to buy a huge funnel (plastic) and stick it in the chute instead of that wimpy little tray. One guy feeding with a wooden dowel (about the size of the chute) and one guy pulling the casing and roping can get allot of sausage stuffed in a short time.

Another handy tip is to put the grinder attachment with cut up meat in the freezer for about 20 min. or so. Also if it starts to labor too much there is fat and gristle hanging it up. Put a half dozen ice cubes threw it and that should free it and chill it at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom