Slow or High Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
Have done some searching on high temp briskets and was wondering what is the opinion of this forum. If you like high temp at what temp do you cook the brisket and how long before before foiling. Also the pros and cons on high temp. I have only done low and slow and had good luck doing them that way. But if I can get the same or close results and do it in four hours why not do it that way. This is not for comp cooking. Would like yalls opinion on this. Thanks TK

I had one get away from me and the temp went up and it was tough and dry.. that's all I know.. :cry:

Some even do it in comp cooking, but the Quickest I've done a packer was about 6 hours +, (at 375 F or so), smoked it for 3 1/2 +, then double foiled it for 2 1/2 +, it had reasonable smoke and good flavor, but I should have rested it a little more or tried it 30 minutes later to cut it.

Not as tender as I'd have liked, but there wasn't the time to go low and slow and I would do it again, but pay a little more attention to having it tender enough to test with a fork.

I've seen them done hot and fast at competition, but I didn't see where that team came in the results.

I had a brisket that accidentally cooked at temps in excess of 300 degrees at Madison, IN a couple of weekends ago. I put the brisket on at 2 am, checked the temp at 4 am and it was at 175 degrees internal! So I quickly foiled it and changed cookers and finished cooking it to 200 internal in a different cooker.

Bottom line we finished third in brisket out of 57 teams. That's not normally how we cook brisket but I have taken Myron Mixon's power cooking class in the past so I did not panic when my brisket was almost done after 2 hours.

I have had a couple of accidents cooking my briskets faster than normal they have done well scoreing but traditionally I keep them lo and slow.

To me there is something that is just MIA when doing hot and fast.

I think it has a lot to do with the lack of time in the smoke and the collagen breaking down like a bag of popcorn. Just my .0125

I'm with Cliff on this issue. BBQ needs a lot of time in the smoke. But then what do I know, I've never tried hot and fast.

I did a high heat brisket a couple week ago and it turned out better than I expected. It was an 8.5 lb packer, cooked at approx 350* for 2.5 hrs, foiled, and cooked at approx 375* another 1.5 hrs 'till tested tender with fork. It's important to test for tenderness when using this hot method 'cause the internal temp will be different than a low & slow brisket. Resting for an hour before slicing is also important. The texture is slightly different but you can cook a moist, tender and flavorfull brisket using the high heat method.

I'll try to get some pics posted later...

High temp cooks work but the technique needs to followed to achieve good results. I would recommend you use flats rather than full packers.
As Larry mentioned in another thread injection is a good idea.

Here is a picture of the one we cooked in Madison. This is the one where the temps got away from us for a little while. I'd say it cooked for about 5 hours total and it was injected.

Kloset BBQR said:
Here is a picture of the one we cooked in Madison. This is the one where the temps got away from us for a little while. I'd say it cooked for about 5 hours total and it was injected.

Think I might try one this weekend. What would yall inject it with?

Havn't tried the fast brisket yet,i start them off at 225 till they reach 165 and then lower the temp around 190-200 with smaller sticks and cook till a probe goes in nicely without force,somewhere between 194-204 degrees,always in that temp range they give up.Oh and i baste and havn't found it to be a waste.
Actually may never try a fast one,just don't see it working unless your low n slow brisket suks.

I suck at brisket in comps. Grew up in Texas so I should be shot. However, I made final table with a fast brisket in Lafayette. Cooked at 300 till the internal was 170 then wrapped until it reached 195 and was tender when poked. Took 6 hours for a 9lb flat. Rested for 1 hour then sliced.

Back
Top Bottom