shoulder..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
slather with some nice rev's sauce (or a yellow mustard).....cover generously with wolfe rub original (or your fav. rub).......smoke for about 14-17hrs (depending on the weather, the size of your shoulder etc) to an internal temp of 190*. remove from smoker, foil and transfer to cooler for about 1-2hrs then pull.......if you're on the east coast (looks like you are) apply proper amount of slaw to top of pulled pork sandwich, or if you're a midwest guy, like me, apply a nice tomato base bbq sauce and enjoy

SteerCrazy said:
if you're on the east coast (looks like you are) apply proper amount of slaw to top of pulled pork sandwich, or if you're a midwest guy, like me, apply a nice tomato base bbq sauce and enjoy

im on the east coast but we dont do no stinking slaw on our BBQ here :LOL: (middle SC mustard based)

if i want a salad ill go to Ryans

I'd rub the butt down the night before. Smoke at 250 until internal temp hits 165 to 170 then foil, continue to cook till internal gets to 200. Rest for an hour, then pull. A 10 pounder takes me about 12hrs.

I serve the sauces on the side. Have a very hot vinegar based sauce, some bottle sweet crap for those that like that stuff and slaw for the purists who want it.

Just my .02

So, whats the difference between pork butts and pork shoulders ? Local grocer has shoulders on sale for .99lb. Was going to do another batch of sausage...

john pen said:
So, whats the difference between pork butts and pork shoulders ? Local grocer has shoulders on sale for .99lb. Was going to do another batch of sausage...
Same deal. Boston Butt = blade roast = shoulder. At that price, stock up! :D

--John 8)

john pen said:
The butt is part of the shoulder..the butts are the meatier part the of the shoulder...the grocer might have labeld the butts as shoulders...

Wittdog sounds a lot more authoritative, so I had to google to figure out where I got the idea that they're the same:

Cook's Thesaurus said:
pork shoulder = pork shoulder butt = pork blade shoulder
Meat from this section is relatively fatty, which makes for juicy, tender, and flavorful roasts as well as clogged arteries.
--John 8)

wittdog said:
john pen said:
The butt is part of the shoulder..the butts are the meatier part the of the shoulder...the grocer might have labeld the butts as shoulders...
The butt is where the shoulder attaches!

National Pork Board said:
In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston Butt." This name stuck and today, Boston butt is called that almost everywhere in the US … except in Boston.
I have this compulsion about looking up stuff. :roll:

--John 8)
(Maybe true, maybe not. Sounds plausible.)

Back
Top Bottom