Seems I should know this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds and looks like everything is going your way my friend. Glad your daughter okay'd the PP sliders. They'll be a great hit! :D Can't wait to see the pics as you go.

Looking good! Keep us posted. I'm living vicariously through you on this cook. Too much going on for me to fire up the smoker :roll: .

Happy Halloween!

Oh stop it :oops: , okay carry on! :)

Looks like a wonderful cook! Wish I had a slider or 5! :D

Sounds like it took a bit longer to cook than expected. That does happen. My wife has learned that "it is done when it is done. I can't tell the meat to cook any faster!"

And then I go grab another beer!

Now, I do think the extra time had something to do with basting it too much. Everytime the lid is opened you add 15ish extra minutes. That can add up when you're cooking something for roughly 12 hours, maybe 14. I personally like to wrap the butt in foil somewhere around the 160 mark. Helps keep it moist while it finishes up.

Hope you had fun and I'm sure everyone just loved it! I know I would have!! :D

Not a fan of Cowboy lump. I've actually found nails in it, plus pieces are generally small. I like Wicked Good the best with Royal Oak following. Actually, those three are about the only ones I have found locally.
dj

buzzmee said:
Thanks again one and all. I only mopped twice and only because I've never tried it. Not exactly sure it added anything to the meat. Most reading I've done says no need to with a water smoker. And it was very messy.

One last question. Thoughts on the Cowboy Lump? I ended up using a bag and a half, for a 16+ hour cook, avg. temp 220°, on a WSM, is that typical? Other than the "Blue Bag" I have only used the former Original Charcoal, now branded at Trader Joes. Seems I should have gotten more burn time? The only other brands I see in my area (central Ohio) are Royal Oak and a few generics. Anybody have better results or thoughts?

DJ, I may have to take a short road trip to get some Wicked Good, Mentor & Springfield Ohio are the closest, 1 or 2 hour drive may be worth it. Fryar Tuck, that is a great site thanks I'll spend some time there studying.

Back
Top Bottom