Second smoke ever.... - Pork shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adrnalnrsh

Assistant Cook
First smoke was last week, baby back ribs. Results, ribs were a 5 out of 10. Too spicy (too much rub, mixed two kinds) and some parts were tough and some were tender, so end result, some parts were good some weren't so good.

Last night I bought 14.3lbs of boneless pork shoulder from Costco.

I did a light coat of mustard and apply some rub. (I bought some from Waldo's BBQ in Gilbert AZ) Sorry, I had to. I like their Ribs so I figured I'd try their rub.

So anyhow, I got the smoker started and up to temp by 8pm last night. I then checked around the forum to make sure I didn't miss any minor/major details for cooking this meat. I came to the conclusion that it would take 14-21 hours to smoke it.

I used hickory and a small amount of mesquite wood. I started the smoking at about 8:30pm. I woke up at 3am (5 month old), added more wood and water to the pans, I check the meat thermometer and it was at 170 already. I figured uh no this will get done sooner than I thought. I did recall that there is a plateau and that it could still be a few more hours til the plateau breaks. Went back to bed, then at 5:45, my 5 month old woke me up again so I got up to check the smoker and sure enought it was done. My meet thermometer showed 190+ so I shut off the smoker. I took the shoulders out and wrapped in tinfoil, which I ran out of, but substituted with plastic wrap. I then left them in the smoker (still warm) for two more hours.

End results at 8:30am

Smoke between 225-250 all night

Decided to start pulling apart and it just fell apart.
I couldn't help but eat some too. I give this a 10/10

Now, did this smoke go faster because it was boneless? I assume so because there were lots of cuts into the meat.

Pics

img_205143_0_2429345b76905b7872c87e4a6edc16e5.jpg

img_205143_1_a45379dbab9a7497b0ba933a7099419c.jpg

img_205143_2_779aa44fb15a924d5853acc45daa0d9d.jpg

Hard to tell not knowing what temp you smoked at. My pork butts at 230-250* usually take 10 to 14 hours. Not to be trite, but they are done when they're done.

Griff said:
Hard to tell not knowing what temp you smoked at. My pork butts at 230-250* usually take 10 to 14 hours. Not to be trite, but they are done when they're done.

Knew I was forgetting something, I updated my original post. But it smoked at 225-250. Took 10 hours.

Offical taster

I have a great memory in that Scottydaq used to be my official taster when he was home. He has gone far beyond what I used to do and now I am his official taster. I am enjoying the role
Love you Son

That looks like a great first try to me. If you can't help but eat it while pulling you know you got it right.

Nice! :D

Looks great. But you know you have to keep practicing. When you run out of neighbors to feed you can send some this way..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom