scouting report from the desert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Our grandson-in-law told me that he likes a place called Lovejoy's KansAZ BBQ in north Phoenix, so we went there for lunch. Closed. Evicted for nonpayment of rent. I don't know what that says about the Q.

Our daughter said "I know a place," and she took us to Thee Pitt's Again Barbecue near 57th Ave and Bell Rd in north Glendale. It's an unassuming place that looks kind of like a diner. When we went inside I was encouraged to see a large display of Peace, Love & BBQ on the counter. There are KCBS trophies, plaques, and medals here and there around the dining room, plus newspaper articles and "best of" eating awards. The owners are Roger and Cheryl Wagner, formerly of Michigan.

I had a pulled pork sandwich, the meat piled high on a kaiser roll. Jody and Claire had pulled pork platters. You can see bark and smoke ring on a fair amount of the meat. It came sauced from the kitchen, a tomato-y sauce that's not overpowering. The meat was good -- I wouldn't make excuses for it if I were serving it as my own. All in all, a better-than-expected BBQ experience. Jody volunteered that if we lived here, we'd go back often. I agree.

--John

Myself and Bobber stopped in there to see Roger and Cheryl when we were out that way a year or so ago for a catering gig. Very nice atmosphere and very nice staff. The sauce was a little to much for me and I would recommend it on the side for those that don't like a lot of sauce on their meat, but very tasty none the less. Roger and Cheryl are a class act in the world of que. I wish them nothing but the best.

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom