Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
When I cook steak I hide the catsup becauce I don't want anyone asking for it. I go thru a lot of trouble to marinate and use combinations of spices to perfect the flavor I am trying to get. As much as I love catsup, it would overpower the flavor. Good BBQ takes a long time to produce as you all well know. Do the sauces that you guys whip up overpower or enhance the flavor of the rubs that ya'll are using ?

Catsup on a steak will get you a instant foot in your ass out the door here. :-X As far as barbecue goes, I always have several sauce choices on the side. Good barbecue needs no sauce, But I use it from time to time depending on my mood. Now catering is a whole different thing, Folk that I cater for expect it due to the fact that they don't know any better. :) Some use so much I'm sure that's all they taste, Kind of upsets me to a level of some dork asking for catsup on a hot dog in Chicago! [-X

Do you think in competition que that putting sauce on loses points?

yes and no. I really believe that to win a comp, you have to be good
and lucky. I sauce mine lightly, but it could hurt in some judges opinions.
It's a crapshoot. You have to hope the judges you get like your turn in
regardless.

I'd like to see a poll of winner that revealed if they sauced or not.
My guess is the majority sauced.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Catsup on a steak will get you a(n) instant foot in your ass out the door here. :-X
:lmao: No sauce of any kind on steak here either. If I use a sauce on BBQ, I want it to meld well with the rub being used and it's always served on the side. :(

Captain Morgan said:
yes and no. I really believe that to win a comp, you have to be good
and lucky. I sauce mine lightly, but it could hurt in some judges opinions.
It's a crapshoot. You have to hope the judges you get like your turn in
regardless.

I'd like to see a poll of winner that revealed if they sauced or not.
My guess is the majority sauced.
Is there comp. guys that don't sauce and win?
Interesting :-k

In a comp I put some sauce on my ribs and let it glaze for the last 30 to 60 minutes. I do not put any additional sauce on it. I do not put a lot of sauce on them. I like sauce but I do not want my BBQ swimming it!! :eek: :D

So, Is it a sauce? Or a glaze? I find that a glaze always does better. (around here) But then again, So does rib Jell-O. Evan the so called dumb ass KCBS judges that cook NOT A THING all year and don't own a pit, And paid there bucks to be a KCBS judge look for that meat Jell-O. Its a crime! Dumb a$$'s 9's across the board! We get to eat for free!

Jeff E said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3hwcqbax]So, Is it a sauce? Or a glaze? I find that a glaze always does better. (around here) But then again, So does rib Jell-O. Evan the so called dumb ass KCBS judges that cook NOT A THING all year and don't own a pit, And paid there bucks to be a KCBS judge look for that meat Jell-O. Its a crime! Dumb a$$'s 9's across the board! We get to eat for free!

Hopefully the judges know what to look for in a competition rib. I know the instructor told us that a rib is overdone if mushy or if it falls off the bone at my "Certified dumb ass KCBS Judge" class. :grin:[/quote:3hwcqbax]
Jeff you have to keep in mind. Pigs is talking from a WNYorkers perspective. To the vast majority of individuals in this area BBQ is sauce and that meat Jello. When I cook what I think is the perfect comp rib. The people around here say it’s not done enough.

It tends to be frustrating doesn’t it? My mother had a shower for my sister here Sat. and had the nerve to bring Crock Pot Pulled Pork.

CrazyWhiteMan said:

I don't think you lose points. Q straight off of the pit is very different than pork barbecue that you may be turning into a judge. Since the weather is getting really nice outside, I'll offer this as "thought for the hammock".

Take some pulled pork and eat it just after it has rested and enjoy the subtle flavors of the juicy morsel of pork and rub together, savor the rub mix and smokey flavor. Take a nice piece that is about as big as your thumb and packed with plenty of rub and bark. Now pull the rest of the butt and let it sit in a bowl for about 20 - 30 minutes and taste it again. I'll venture that the whole enjoyable experience has changed quite a bit. More than likely you'll get a kind of greasy feel on your palate and the smoke will be kind of bitter.

Now put a cup or two of cider vinegar or apple juice, a couple tablespoons of sugar and a tablesoon or two of kosher salt together in a sauce pan and heat it until eveything has dissolved. Add that to the pulled pork and taste it again. You'll notice that the greasy feeling has disappeared, the smoke has tamed, but the the "sauce" is hardly noticeable.

Many competitors I know would like to serve pork hot off of the pit straight to a judge. That is not reality. Pork grease gets thick as it cools. Most barbecue fanatics I know like a light vinegar/pepper sauce, probably because it is the least intrusive way to get rid of that feel and still taste the true flavors of the meat. Barbecue fanatics and judges are many times different animals. :) 8-[

Think about it.

Jack

wittdog said:
It tends to be frustrating doesn’t it? My mother had a shower for my sister here Sat. and had the nerve to bring Crock Pot Pulled Pork.
:ack: :ack: :ack:

Jack W. said:
CrazyWhiteMan said:

I don't think you lose points. Q straight off of the pit is very different than pork barbecue that you may be turning into a judge. Since the weather is getting really nice outside, I'll offer this as "thought for the hammock".

Take some pulled pork and eat it just after it has rested and enjoy the subtle flavors of the juicy morsel of pork and rub together, savor the rub mix and smokey flavor. Take a nice piece that is about as big as your thumb and packed with plenty of rub and bark. Now pull the rest of the butt and let it sit in a bowl for about 20 - 30 minutes and taste it again. I'll venture that the whole enjoyable experience has changed quite a bit. More than likely you'll get a kind of greasy feel on your palate and the smoke will be kind of bitter.

Now put a cup or two of cider vinegar or apple juice, a couple tablespoons of sugar and a tablesoon or two of kosher salt together in a sauce pan and heat it until eveything has dissolved. Add that to the pulled pork and taste it again. You'll notice that the greasy feeling has disappeared, the smoke has tamed, but the the "sauce" is hardly noticeable.

Many competitors I know would like to serve pork hot off of the pit straight to a judge. That is not reality. Pork grease gets thick as it cools. Most barbecue fanatics I know like a light vinegar/pepper sauce, probably because it is the least intrusive way to get rid of that feel and still taste the true flavors of the meat. Barbecue fanatics and judges are many times different animals. :) 8-[

Think about it.

Jack

Which is why vinegar pepper based sauces are the perfect compliment to
pulled pork, and the industrial sludge they eat in Texas, KC and Memphis
is crap! Ha!!!

oh shit, did I just say that!?!?!?

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Jack W.":fodq2npr]
CrazyWhiteMan said:

Think about it.

Jack

Which is why vinegar pepper based sauces are the perfect compliment to
pulled pork, and the industrial sludge they eat in Texas, KC and Memphis
is crap! Ha!!!

oh shit, did I just say that!?!?!?[/quote:fodq2npr]
From "KING" to "TURD" in just one post. =D>

I always serve the vinegar sauce on the side because not everybody likes the sauce.
I think its the heat of the red pepper that turns some people off, i'll try the sauce without it anything to keep it from getting greasy. The pork sure does change after its pulled.
Thanks Jack :!:

Finney said:
From "KING" to "TURD" in just one post. =D>

I did notice that the stock price of beer in general rose today! I wonder if there is a corelation?? :razz: :razz:

We all know, he can get on a roll...

Jack

no lie...I went on a diet and stopped drinking beer just 2 weeks ago.
Sure enough, Budweiser sent me two cans of Harley Week Bud in the mail to promote their sponsorship of Harley week.

Some may call that a coincidence.

I'm off the diet by the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom