Saturday Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I decided to smoke some butts starting in the morning rather than overnight just to remind myself why I like cooking overnight..

40 lbs is all my 22" grate can hold laying out flat.

img_170830_0_2a23e3d6e93ea5eb49c5d0adb1907255.jpg

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1uyml4pa]Cliff have you forgotten about your lonely WSM?? Poor thing......

Once you name your price for the 22" wsm I am going all weber.[/quote:1uyml4pa]

Well for some reason I have never heard back from Weber............so you're stuck with your UDS!

Larry Wolfe said:
Cliff have you forgotten about your lonely WSM?? Poor thing......

Larry, did you put a mojo on me or something.

After five hours my drum went a-wall on me. I couldn't keep temps above 240 at all. I

I had to transfer the whole cook over to my wsm.

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":25labzr3]Cliff have you forgotten about your lonely WSM?? Poor thing......

Larry, did you put a mojo on me or something.

After five hours my drum went a-wall on me. I couldn't keep temps above 240 at all. I

I had to transfer the whole cook over to my wsm.[/quote:25labzr3]

I'm sorry Cliff, I just can't stand to see my friends cook out of trashcans..........Puff uses his as a heater too.

Griff said:
Sounds like UDS failure Cliff. What do you think caused it?

The major factor was the lack of airflow around the meat. I have smoked four several times but these took up most of the grate.

Other factors were :

Low 40's all day

High wind all day

Small pcs of lump in this bag

Cliff H. said:
Griff said:
Sounds like UDS failure Cliff. What do you think caused it?

The major factor was the lack of airflow around the meat. I have smoked four several times but these took up most of the grate.

Other factors were :

Low 40's all day

High wind all day

Small pcs of lump in this bag

Cliff I don't know a thing about UDS's, however I've had butts snugged together like that in a WSM and as long as you have sufficient airflow (which it looks like you did on the UDS) around the outsides you should be fine. I wouldn't have worried that much about temps only being around 240º.........that's a lot of meat and it takes time for temps to even out.

Here is a weird deal.

I poured 3/4 of a full bag of lump into the charcoal basket. Think of an over stuffed wsm ring. That is about 8lbs.

I can usually get 12-14 hours of burn time from this mount.

After five hours, this is all that was left.

img_170938_0_e395a7888b5b9083bdfbed25b4ce8eea.jpg

There is no way that I would have ever made it even 7 hours judging by what was left.

I remember thinking to myself that the chunks of lump seemed kind of small.

OMG those looks good. Save a handful and make a taco man. It's unbelievable. Great job Cliff :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom