sat hot and fast butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Today I did a few butt with the hot and fast method. I ran the smoker around 300-325 most of the time. I was very pleased with the results. I think Ill be doing a lot more butts like this. 8) Also did some salmon for lunch.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... bd8ec&Ux=1

If you guys would not mind could you give me some feedback on the box,

Chris

I don't do competition so I can't tell you about the box...but how did the butts taste? You said you were pleased does that mean the butts tasted good?

Overall the box looks good, as a KCBS judge and table captain I'd score it around 7. It's close to be an 8 and it's not hard to get it higher.

Neaten up the lettuce around the edges.

Try to add more bark on the chunks, It gives a contrast of color with the pale meat and green lettuce.

Fill the box up with more meat, as a TC you can tell how a box will score by the weight.

Now, it looks like there are globs of fat on some of the chunks, If there are you will get hammered by the judges who eat the fat. They may score you down as much as 2 points for taste (biggest multiplier). That may be the difference between a top ten and a bottom ten finish.

Overall the box looked good and shiny.

cleglue said:
I don't do competition so I can't tell you about the box...but how did the butts taste? You said you were pleased does that mean the butts tasted good?

Yes the butts were very good. I thought they were just as good or better than any I did low and slow.

Chris

Seems like more people are going to this method. How much did the large butt weigh and how long did it take, looks great BTW.

that pork looked tender and juicy..great job.
As for the box, I think it needs more color...more
bark in other words.

Lettuce looked a little wilted to me.

Fast Track Thos Butts!!!!

Chris, you had better be careful about talking Hot and Fast!!!! Some people can't grasp the idea that it works well.
I have been doing it for a long time and everytime I mention it, somebody chimes it can't be done and the meat isn't as good.
Right!! You need to try a Brisket like that. Best dog gone Bark you can get!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Re: Fast Track Thos Butts!!!!

Captain Morgan said:
that pork looked tender and juicy..great job.
As for the box, I think it needs more color...more
bark in other words.

Lettuce looked a little wilted to me.

Rich Decker said:
Overall the box looks good, as a KCBS judge and table captain I'd score it around 7. It's close to be an 8 and it's not hard to get it higher.

Neaten up the lettuce around the edges.

Try to add more bark on the chunks, It gives a contrast of color with the pale meat and green lettuce.

Fill the box up with more meat, as a TC you can tell how a box will score by the weight.

Now, it looks like there are globs of fat on some of the chunks, If there are you will get hammered by the judges who eat the fat. They may score you down as much as 2 points for taste (biggest multiplier). That may be the difference between a top ten and a bottom ten finish.

Overall the box looked good and shiny.

Thanks guys Ill make those changes next time I do some pork 8)

oct_97 said:
Seems like more people are going to this method. How much did the large butt weigh and how long did it take, looks great BTW.

They were both around 7-8 pounds. The smaller one took around 5 hours. I think it should have been on there long. I felt it could have rendered more fat. The second was around 6. I also foiled them when they hit 160. Next time I plan to foil them later or not at all so I can get better color on the bark.

kickassbbq said:
Chris, you had better be careful about talking Hot and Fast!!!! Some people can't grasp the idea that it works well.
I have been doing it for a long time and everytime I mention it, somebody chimes it can't be done and the meat isn't as good.
Right!! You need to try a Brisket like that. Best dog gone Bark you can get!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

kickass, I was not a believer at first but after doing it I think Ill be doing it this way for a while. And the next time I do a brisket you better believe I am doing it hot and fast. Do you foil your meat when you do this if so when do you do it.

Thanks for the comments,
Chris

Chris

Chris,
Here ya go.
http://www.kickassbbq.com/quick_cook_brisket.htm
I don't know if this is the way to BBQ. It's just the way I do it and I don't know Jack Didley much. But, my Briskets and Butts come out as good OR better doing them this way than any other.
If I were doing more competitions, I would do it this way there, too.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom