Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Picked up a three pound tri-tip at the grocery store yesterday and decided to grill it the authentic Santa Maria style.

Santa Maria is in central California and is known for their particular style of cooking tri-tip cuts of beef. The basic method is to use a combination of granulated garlic, course black pepper, paprika, kosher salt and parsley flakes for the rub and to cook it directly over a bed of hot red oak coals.

For my cook, I first trimmed all the fat off the tri-tip and then smeared the tri-tip with yellow mustard to help bind the dry rub to the meat. The coals were a combination of Stubb's briquets and mesquite lump coal with some red oak added for smoke.

After searing the tri-tip for about 3 minutes on each side, I moved it to the upper rack directly over the coals. Once on the top rack, I closed the pit and let it cook, turning over the tri-tip about every ten minutes. It only takes a short amount of time to cook so you have to monitor it closely. After a half hour the internal temperature was 130 degrees and it was done.

The tri-tip rested with some loose foil on top for about 12 minutes before slicing. It was very tender with a lot of juice and a spicy flavor. It was plated with some asparagus, baked mac & cheese and a green salad. The sliced tri-tip in the plated picture was cooked to medium-rare but it looks darker because I drenched each slice in the juice prior to plating.

Fat trimmed off tri-tip.

Tri-tip with Santa Maria style rub.

Searing the tri-tip.

Tri-tip on upper rack directly over the coals.

Plated tri-tip. Yum, yum!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

looks great. Makes me really miss those tri-tip sandwiches I used to get up in the Central valley when I lived out there.

That looks awesome. I've made the Santa Maria pinquito beans (love em) several times but not the Tri-Tip. Time to find some Tri-Tip to go with the beans.

That do look yummy. Agree with DC neva cooked one but I'm gonna one of these days..if the Lord's willing of course.

bigwheel

Hey Lew Outstanding! ...... I was told not too long ago that you are supposed to cook it with the fat layer on it? My question to myself was how do you flavor the meat then? Also heard those pinquinto beans are really pricey and only sold in CA. Food looks outstanding!

dollarbill said:
Hey Lew Outstanding! ...... I was told not too long ago that you are supposed to cook it with the fat layer on it? My question to myself was how do you flavor the meat then? Also heard those pinquinto beans are really pricey and only sold in CA. Food looks outstanding!
You could cook with the fat cap on but that cut of meat is so flavorful on its own that I would rather not have to deal with the burning fat since it's done directly over the coals the entire cook.

And he did say they had a fire! hahahahahahaaa lmao! Just about burned down the canopy apparently.

I need to do one of those traditional style. Maybe for the hollidays. With beans!

Looks super Lew, that is one big TT! Your plated pictures are always great. Ever try doing the reverse sear, indirect to about 120°, then sear it direct a couple minutes on each side, then tent it? I've had good success using the Rempe Reverse :LOL:

I'm a huge fan of tri-tip, but I've never made a Santa Maria that I liked. I'm definately gonna try this as it looks killer!

Back
Top Bottom