Salted Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I did a bit of salt testing on a brisket yesterday. The method may replace injecting for me.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="800" height="533" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fcchutson%2Falbumid%2F5345701355178156625%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26authkey%3DGv1sRgCLHG3-6_h7_ceQ%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

I don't think this is something that hasn't been done already. I was reading on the Brethren forum about salt and remember reading one of the forums about salting a steak for an hour or so. That is what I did with this brisket.

Salted real heavy with kosher salt for about 1-1/2 hours. I left in on the counter during this process. Then I washed it all off real good.

Then proceed with normal prep before smoking. I used a rub that was salt based. The high heat cook had it done in about 5 hours. I wrapped at 190 and checked for probe tender. It rested for two hours.

The salt did not over power the flavor but seemed to draw some flavor down into the meat. That has always been an issue for me. Getting flavor past the bark.

Cliff H. said:
seemed to draw some flavor down into the meat. That has always been an issue for me. Getting flavor past the bark.
I'm sold. Next brisket gets salted.

--John
(Sometime. Dr & nutritionist he sent me to said cut red meat, not out but way down. :( )

Cliff H. said:
I left in on the counter during this process.

Let me say first the brisket looks great !!

My only other concern besides the cooker and the house :P is an OCD issue I probably have myself with food and leaving it out at room temp... leaving the meat out for 90 minutes coupled with the time it takes to reach 140 degree temp in the cooker leaves a huge window for bacteria to form...

Sorry if im a buzzkill on that lol

Anyway ... did you salt both sides or just one side ?

I salted just the one side. As a matter of fact, I scored the flat very good so the silver skin would not hamper salt penetration.

I left it on the counter because I read plenty of threads where raw meat wsa allowed to come to room temp before smoking. I did not check the temps before I actually put it on the smoker but I am sure that the same thing can be done by leaving brisket in the fridge.

Thanks for the concern about my smoker. I really don't have a better place to put it that wouldn't be right out in the open. If the lid ever where to come off while cooking, the house would go up for sure.

as long as ya got good insurance ... then hey cook it up ....btw again the brisket looks juuuuicy as hell ...would love to slather a piece of that into ma mouth right now !!

You know Div,

The more I look at your drum at the bottom of your post, the more I think my wife might would like my butt ugly drum smoker off of our front porch.

I am going to have to work on this.

Thanks man.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom