Rub Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I read a tip about running my homemade rub through one for those cheap coffee grinders, to make all the ingredients a consistent size. So I went and bought one yesterday. My question is; how long do you run the rub through the grinder? Just a few seconds? Or longer?

I personally like coarser rubs. I think they help build a crust/bark and will take longer to dissolve into the meat and in the end will give you a better tasting finished product. Rubs/spices/herbs blended too finely together seem to blend the flavors too much together and you taste one big blob of flavor IMO. Keeping your seasonings in a coarse grind or herbs in a rough chop give you the ability to taste the individual spices in stages (if you will) and the flavors compliment eachother vs. becoming one. Just my .02. There's no right way or wrong way as long as it is the way you like it.

Thought I would report back. I used the coffee grinder and ground my rub into a fine powder. I put it on some ribs I was making and I loved it! The powder clung to the meat much better than before. Also sometimes (usually when I make ribs) there would be a grainy texture from the rub on the ribs and I was not very happy with that. It did not happen every time but it happened enough to bother me. But when I ground the rub there was no grit just flavor. This is how I will be doing my rub from now on!

Back
Top Bottom