Rookie brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That brisket looks delicious, but, was it a "second cut flat" brisket. If it was and from the looks of the second picture from the bottom, it has a thick fat layer on the bottom and through out the brisket. If this was turned in to a KCBS contest you may get killed on taste and tenderness unless you find a judge that likes to eat fat. Most judges tear the pieces apart then eat a half, they typically don't bite the piece from the center.

Rich Decker said:
That brisket looks delicious, but, was it a "second cut flat" brisket. If it was and from the looks of the second picture from the bottom, it has a thick fat layer on the bottom and through out the brisket. If this was turned in to a KCBS contest you may get killed on taste and tenderness unless you find a judge that likes to eat fat. Most judges tear the pieces apart then eat a half, they typically don't bite the piece from the center.
I wasn't meaning the one on the web site this one had 1/8" fat layer left on the bottom when it went on the smoker.
This pic: http://home.comcast.net/~volstew/brisket3.JPG
The others were done about 3 weeks ago and had a good flavor but it was a little tough. The on linked above had a real good texture. and very little fat.

I looked at the correct picture. The picture second from the bottom ( thick piece) has either a chunk of fat on it or you can see the juice on the cutting board, regardless. My comment was to a "rookie" comp cook about being careful about how much fat is left on a piece of meat. As said the brisket looked delicious.

Say hi to your mom from me, I hope to see her in October.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom