Ribs on the gasser, part deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maylar

Home Griller
Did my second attempt at ribs on a gas grill this weekend. Effin wood caught fire again, so no smoke. I be gonna score one of those cheesy Brinkman electrics next season, and use the gasser for what it does best - grilling.

Started with 2 small racks of baby backs. Rubbed em down with Meathead's Memphis rub. My method of indirect is to use a baking pan to isolate the meat from the heat, and use just one burner on low. I can control the temp to 130 and keep it steady.

15155547712_681c3ca118_z.jpg

Let em cook about 3-1/2 hrs until they passed the "cracking" test. Had some corn on da cob and my famous beans heating up whilst caramelizing the Sweet Baby Ray's at warp 10..

14969372768_1943eb74c6_z.jpg

Plated with some Angry Orchard cider for grog.

14969370688_23f670b645_z.jpg

The ribs came from the local Stop & Shop and they were meaty, tender and juicy. Unfortunately, the rub was overpowering and the taste was "salty". My family prefers sweet not spicy, so I'm in search of a new rub recipe.

good looking rib cook!!!! Are you laying a chunk of wood on your lava rocks? Trying soaking some wood chips and putting them in a aluminum packet and poke a few holes in the aluminum foil. Make a few of them and replace them when the wood burn up.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. Wrapped maple & oak chunks in foil and poked a few holes in it. Must have had too many holes I guess. <Sigh>

Looks good. The electric brinkmanns are not ideal rib cooking instruments. They do real good on the other stuff. I have to have ribs laying flat to cook them right and the brinkmann is too small diameter. You need a big Smokin Tex.

I find wood chips useless. You have to soak them, and they let off too much puffy smoke, when you are tying to acquire the blue wispy smoke. I prefer to use, just plain old chunks. The chunks last longer, and do not need water at all.

I find wood chips useless. You have to soak them, and they let off too much puffy smoke, when you are tying to acquire the blue wispy smoke. I prefer to use, just plain old chunks. The chunks last longer, and do not need water at all.

What's the difference in size between chips and chunks? I cut scrap wood from my woodshop into pieces about 3/4" square and 2" long. Are those chunks?

Yep the size is right but if you cooking with lumber you aint going to get very good flavor. The good stuff in most near all wood comes from the tree bark. One exception is Pee Can. The best flavor of that tree resides in the nut shells. Think hickory should work the same way but I aint never found any hickory nut shells. I tried cooking with barkless oak one time and I might as well have cooked over cardboard boxes. Go out in the yard and break off some tree limbs. Thats how I do it so it must be right..lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom