Ribs for 2nd WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
(warning: this post is blah blah blah boring with a "side" of whining thrown in )

Well, all I can say is I'm so happy the WSM is easy to use and "forgiving"...... it was "one of those days" :( The bottom line is the ribs came out very tender and tasty. I used oak lump with Hawaiian Kiawe wood for the smoke flavor. I had two slabs pork ribs St. Louis style cut, each weighed slightly over 2 lbs. I put a spicy, dry rub (my recipe) on them the night before, smoked them at 220-250 for a bit over 4 hrs, turning them once halfway through; applied bbq sauce (my recipe) when ribs were pull apart tender, let each sauced side cook about 5 minutes. Sides to go with ribs were potato salad, deviled eggs and corn bread.
What went wrong that day:
*Wind (blowing about 20 with higher gusts) and pouring sideways rain came up as I was setting up smoker; luckily I'm good with line, knives and tarps....
*I lit the lump in the chimney and set it down on a thin piece of tin, on a rubber mat ! Yup, that sure smelled great...
* While the ribs were cooking, I shut ALL THE VENTS 100% closed "just for a minute" to bring the spiking temp down; then had a "blonde moment" and walked away..... managed to get coals flaming again, they hadn't gone all the way out :roll:
*the corn bread I ended up throwing away; tasted something like sweet, grainy, pasty yuck !

And yet, the ribs were delicious :D

Looks like a great meat to me! I've had days like those, and sometimes I think I make the best food that day.

Want a little cheese with that whine sister???? Looks to me like you did fine and the key is you got to use your smoker again. Nice job.

hawk wild bbq co said:
Want a little cheese with that whine sister???? Looks to me like you did fine and the key is you got to use your smoker again. Nice job.

:cry: yes, cheese please, and a martini..... hahahaha I know, I love using my new smoker; it's fun cooking outside.

Thanks everyone for looking and the nice replies !

Nice job FR. You're a regular frontiers man with the improves. Burning a rubber matt aint so bad. At least it wasn't rubber boots while sitting around a campfire. I've done that once or twice.

PS - those deviled eggs look awesome as well as your ribs.

wittdog said:
Looks good. My Brother in Law burned a hole in his driveway with his chimney

:oops: I set fire to my lawn once, too..... I was grilling my weber :LOL: :roll: Oh ya, falling asleep too close to the campfire, I hate it when a good pair of boots start to melt :shock: Thanks everybody for looking !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom