Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuginator

Assistant Cook
I'd never had mustard on ribs before, so I wanted to try it out. My wife isn't so fond of mustard, so I cut a rack of pork spareribs in half and did one half with and one half without.

The end result was quite good, but the mustard taste itself was quite subdued. Interesting!

Fired up the WSM and threw a whole chicken in the mid rack and the ribs on top. Took the chicken out after four hours (would have been sooner but I was off drinking beer with friends), ribs after five. Didn't do a thing to 'em, just let them do their thing. Delicious bark!

img_207928_0_a02c4f240a8f58b89688fc5d6a2f3ebc.jpg

img_207928_1_7fc3ecb3ae46cffef9e84356f76ddec8.jpg

img_207928_2_74e2a09c04c85359e1f757e51dcc1c0c.jpg

img_207928_3_6fc36b2f253594e8d8d8bbead90f85c0.jpg

img_207928_4_9531b87b823bdbae51054cbba4446a1a.jpg

Thanks, Pigs! I'll see what I can do... :yawinkle:

Had coleslaw on the side and chased it all down with some Bushmills Irish whiskey on ice. Yum yum!

Chuginator, the taste of the mustard should actually cook off--I have never had any residual mustard flavor on the meat once the cook was over...good looking bones!!

Greg Rempe said:
Chuginator, the taste of the mustard should actually cook off--I have never had any residual mustard flavor on the meat once the cook was over...good looking bones!!
I have found that if you cook the ribs around the 225-250 mark the mustard will have no residual mustard left over. But cooking around the 300-350 mark (as I often do) They cook so fast that the mustard just hangs in there. Wonder how a rack would come out with a coat of sriracha and a rub. Going to check into that one the next day or two. I have 3 racks in the freezer, I'll do one with mustard and rub, one with sriracha and rub and one with just rub. Sounds like a fun experiment to me. :D

Pigs

Chuginator some gooooood lookin' ribs. Food experiments are so much fun, good or bad you can eat the results. Now we need to head to Pig's house and judge his experiment, one man surely won't eat 3 racks himself :LOL:

Thanks, guys!

It's funny, but at first, I couldn't taste a difference between the two. I thought the mustard did cook off. However, the misses, being prone to not caring a whole lot for mustard, did try both and could detect its presence.

So after I had a bit more of the normal, I tried a mustard again and she was right! It was there, but like I mentioned, very subdued.

The chicken turned out great too. That was for meals later in the week (chicken tacos and chicken salad). Yum!

Ribs look great! As for the mustard thing, I never can taste the mustard either, but got a buddy of mine swears he can taste it and he doesn't like mustard. When I cook ribs for him, they get sprayed with EVOO and then rubbed. Again, nice looking ribs!

bbquzz said:
Chuginator some gooooood lookin' ribs. Food experiments are so much fun, good or bad you can eat the results. Now we need to head to Pig's house and judge his experiment, one man surely won't eat 3 racks himself :LOL:
Oh, You may be surprised on how many bones this boy can eat, of course, it depends on how many ABT's , wings, and adult beverages are involved. :LOL: I'll post the results on another thread. With pics of course. :D

Pigs

Back
Top Bottom