Rib Racks: Your Opinions, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would prefer to lay them flat but us WSM guys are almost forced to use racks unless we're only cooking a couple racks.

In a perfect world if space was not an issue I wouldn't use a rack, but as the others have stated when space is an issue the rib rack can allow you too cook far more than you ever planned whether it be on a WSM or a big offset. The only down fall to rib racks is when it's time to sauce the ribs........

Finney got me one of THESE and it works great and is very easy to clean. They changed the design a little for some reason, but this is pretty much the same thing.

Bulldozer Rectangle said:
Everyone! Hey, I finally got a replacement offset smoker. Anyways, I was planning on smokin' 6 racks of ribs and I'm not sure they will all fit.

Any opinions on the rib racks that hold them on their side to save space? I'm skeptical as it seems like a bad idea to have them lean on one side.

While I pefer to lay mine flat , if you want to save space on the cooker for other things they are the way to go. I have the one that Weber puts out.

I am using 2 rib racks today for a 6 rack rib cook...I like to use them for space and I also think I get a little baste job willy by standing them up too. :D

I have one and have gave it a fair test on several occasions. I hate it. Usually wind up throwing it against a tree. Those things are purty durable. I give it to somebody if I can find it.

bigwheel

I use the racks from lowes, but based on a suggestion from Gary, I open them up and set them side by side long ways. This way you can get 7 racks on them and they support the full length of the rack. I've done this twice now with great results for the initial cooking / smoking.

I always lay them flat at the end to apply a layer of sauce to let it glaze or set up. Remember, I'm still a newby so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Chiles

I'm still working on techniques for getting spares out of the rack easily. I've got two of the Weber racks (figured they knew best).

--John 8)
(Flat is better, but a rack is sometimes a necessity.)

I've got racks and they suck to clean, even the ones from Williams \ Sonoma. I've rolled them before with great sucsess and never had a problem unrolling them. When it comes time to sauce them, I prefer to do it under the broiler.

Back
Top Bottom