Rib Question ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoke the ribs till done or almost done and then sear the membrane off while adding a layer of crust and flavor. Is that correct ?

Do you grill finish on both sides of the rib or just the bone side ?

Cliff H. said:
Smoke the ribs till done or almost done and then sear the membrane off while adding a layer of crust and flavor. Is that correct ?

Do you grill finish on both sides of the rib or just the bone side ?

Pretty much. I smoke them for about 4 hours or so, just until they bend fairly easily. Then I put em on a medium hot grill to sauce and finish for about 30-45 minutes or until the bones pull back a 1/4 of an inch or so.

Tim

Cliff H. said:
Is it really nessesary to trim spare ribs?

I don't recall the skirt meat burning or drying out while still attatched to the spare but I do know that I seem to waste the trimmings when they are cooked seperate from the rest of the rib rack.

Any thoughts?

Sometimes I do ,sometimes I dont trim the spare ribs. As for the membrane I have never removed them and have never had any complaints from those that eat them. Now for a contest I would probably do both.

I trim for the reason of making the finished product easier to eat (not having to deal with all the little chunks of cartilige on the skirt)...I like to take the trimmings and clean them up removing all the meat and then eother use it in sauce or beans. My latest fav is to take the meat after I trim it, and toss it with my fav rub, then throw it in a screaming hot fry pan and use bbq sauce for dipping...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom