Rib Cook-Off Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Puff and I are doing a Rib Cook-Off tomorrow sponsored by our county Sheriffs Dept, they are providing 4 racks of spares (brisket bone-off); check-in/set up time is 9am, cooking can begin anytime after teams have set up and received their ribs. Turn in time for judging is 4pm.

With set up, rib trimming and prep, I'm hoping to have them on my WSM's by 10:30 at the latest, which still only gives me about 5 hours to cook. I'll probably have to cook at a higher temp and use some foil for a period.

If I cook them at 275 for 3 hours, foil for 3/4 to 1 hour, then sauce and back on the cooker for an hour, do you think they'll be OK? Or do you have any suggestions for an alternate temp/time line.

Thanks much for the help.

First, everybody is in the same boat. Second, I doubt anyone there
will know more about ribs than you. Third, if you peel the membrane
and get any smoke flavor in there before foiling, you're going to win.
Most of the folks who enter small contests like that are backyard
weekend warriors who think lighter fluid charred ribs dunked in gallons
of sauce are good.

I cook my ribs at higher temps than butts anyway, don't worry about it.

Bruce, I wouldnt worry about trying to rush them. When we cook spares at comps they dont take 6 hours. We do a modified, 2 1/2, 1 in foil and then 1 hour if needed out of foil. You'll have plenty of time. DONT FORGET THE PICS! Good luck guys.

Captain Morgan said:
that said, who is judging? fall off the bone might win...better
foil the whole time. :(

Ill second that...Your "perfect" compatition ribs might get lost in the fall off rhe bone group..go for flavor !

I think your on the right track Bruce. Once you get them into the foil, temperature becomes less of an obsticle. Don't get them too much out of the box on flavor or you'll loose to the "boil the ribs coat with Kraft" guy. It's always a good plan to stay away from the heat too.

Enjoy the fun. Hopefully they will have good music and lots of bikini clad females about.

Jack

Jack W. said:
I think your on the right track Bruce. Once you get them into the foil, temperature becomes less of an obsticle. Don't get them too much out of the box on flavor or you'll loose to the "boil the ribs coat with Kraft" guy. It's always a good plan to stay away from the heat too.

Enjoy the fun. Hopefully they will have good music and lots of bikini clad females about.

Jack

If they do, screw the ribs!!! :LOL: :LOL:

I made a mistake last weekend due to times. I didn't foil long enough and it cost me.

This weekend I have the same amount of time 5 hours. At least this time I know just to foil a bit longer and do them a bit higher temp.

I think as long as you are using that terrific rub and sauce it will be great
good luck!

Captain Morgan said:
keep focused, BOY!

AND I MEAN THE RIBS BOY, DON'T MAKE ME GET MY STICK OUT!!!

I saw Cappy get distracted once. :shock: Cost him what little pride and integrity he has left. To his credit, they were some fine ponies. ;)

Good Q!

Jack

Captain Morgan said:
keep focused, BOY!

AND I MEAN THE RIBS BOY, DON'T MAKE ME GET MY STICK OUT!!!

Hey thats my line BOY!... never boil meat. boil crawfish, shrip & crabs...

Bruce B said:
Puff and I are doing a Rib Cook-Off tomorrow sponsored by our county Sheriffs Dept, they are providing 4 racks of spares (brisket bone-off); check-in/set up time is 9am, cooking can begin anytime after teams have set up and received their ribs. Turn in time for judging is 4pm.

You're doomed already with that albatross helping you. ;)

Remember who is judging. I think they will expect falling off the bone. Any tug and you're toast. 1.5 in smoke 1.5-2 in foil and balance back on. I'll PM you with more advice.

Uncle Bubba said:
[quote="Bruce B":2y07qbh7]Puff and I are doing a Rib Cook-Off tomorrow sponsored by our county Sheriffs Dept, they are providing 4 racks of spares (brisket bone-off); check-in/set up time is 9am, cooking can begin anytime after teams have set up and received their ribs. Turn in time for judging is 4pm.

You're doomed already with that albatross helping you. ;)

Remember who is judging. I think they will expect falling off the bone. Any tug and you're toast. 1.5 in smoke 1.5-2 in foil and balance back on. I'll PM you with more advice.[/quote:2y07qbh7]
[smilie=thefinger.gif] ;)

Bruce ... Puff

Relax, have a few beers, look at a few bikinis, you guys got it knocked. Have fun and good luck.

Griff said:
Bruce ... Puff

Relax, have a few beers, look at a few bikinis, you guys got it knocked. Have fun and good luck.
Thanks Mr. Griff. I thought the same thing ;)

Thanks everybody for all the help, hopefully we'll get a call for the BBQ Central crew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom