reheating pulled pork - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Cooker

reheating pulled pork

whats the best way to reheat Pulled pork the next day ( i dont have a vac sealer)

i will be cooking on saturday and eating sunday

should i use a crock pot, and if so what kind of liquid should i put in with it if any

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

What Bryan said and maybe throw a little vinegar in with it too (just a smidge)

Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #3

Vac Seal Warm FRESH pulled pork.
Ice down or cool.
Best way is to simmer bags back up to 160 degrees internal.
Or Take the meat and open vac bags and put in Foil pans and cover and back into the cooker till up to temp. Keep it covered with some vinegar sauce and she'll be fine and FRESH tasting.

Warm it up wrong and the first thing you will lose is color. No more red, white and brown but a Gray lifeless looking tore up stuff.

IMHO

Good luck
Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #4

Time you get it cooled down an ready to chill it be time to eat. Suggest you stagger the proposed cooking schedule here. Haul your coola outta the sack about 12 hours in advance of the time you got to be ready to rip with it and stick it into the proverbial empty ice chest with a few folded over newspaper pages (not sure who reads them liberal rags anymore but you can go buy one if you want just dont read it. Crown it with tinfoil over the top and bottom and haul it over there fresh and hot. Now if you wanted to do the chill..freeze and reheat you shoulda done that last month. If you get sleepy during the blessed event walk out to the highway and flag over a truck driver. Tell him you need to bum a no-doze tablet. Works especially well on Bull Haulers. Tell him/her that bigwheel sent ya. They usually fork it right over. Hope this helps.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Smoker

I'd be carefull reheating any meat slowly, or at to low of a temp for food safety reasons. The faster you get that meat out of the danger zone (40* to 140* internal) the better and safer you are. I've been in this situation before and have done it a couple of different ways. One way is to leave it whole, wrapped in foil. When ready to heat, put it back on a 300* to 350* cooker and bring to 160* internal. Take off, let rest for an hour and pull. Or, pull ahead of time, put in foil pans and cool. When ready to reheat, using prior mentioned temps, add a little sauce (if a thin one) or apple juice and put on the cooker. Heat for about 1 1/2 hours stirring every half hour until warmed through.

Tim
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Smoker

I agree with Tim. And not only for food safety reasons.

When pork which is already pulled is reheated too slowly it will get sticky unless handled properly. My suggestion for storing pulled pork generally is to make sure the pork is moistened with some "Carolina" type (i.e., vinegar based) sauce. And that more moisture is added before reheating, and still more if the pork seems dry.

In fact, Carolina sauces are not only successful for the wonderful taste they bring to pork, but for their ability to help hold the product and reheat it. The vinegar in them works to break down the fattiness.

Setting aside the "boil in a bag" technique which is excellent -- small amounts are best reheated in the microwave on a medium setting; while medium and large quantities should be reheated in a tightly covered pan in the oven or cooker run in the 275 - 300 range. Stir only as necessary to make sure the pork heats evenly. While it encourages uniformity, it further breaks down the pork's fibers and (again) encourages gumminess. So, handle with care.

Whether or not you use sauce, the suggestion(s) to use other liquids -- damn near any liquids -- are excellent. I reheated pulled pork in a spicy Riesling and that worked out damn well.

Rich

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Saint O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan S
So what your telling me that it's OK for me to cook my pork Butt at 225 but not OK to reheat it once it's pulled and in a pan at 225 in a oven? Splain this to me because I DON'T GET IT, IT'S ALREADY COOKED. But hey I never got sick yet in the 25 years I've been doing it.
Seriously, I was totally wondering the same thing.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #8

Didn't I mention vinegar too???WTF???
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
Smoker

Helen, the biggest safety reason is that food that has a lot of surface is more susceptible to bio-contaminants than food that's uncut. It's why hamburger needs to be overcooked but steak doesn't. There are other reasons too. The thing about food safety protocols is it doesn't matter how great every thing's been for the past fifty years, it's the next meal that counts. But screw safety, you're better off with a quicker warm up (275 - 300) from a texture standpoint, IMO. Heck, 275 - 300 is pretty darn gentle.

Puff, you said it first and your contribution should be acknowledged. Frankly sir, I am unworthy.

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
Web Celeb

Easy Bryan...no need to yell.