Rediscovered the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottc_2223

Assistant Cook
I received a WSM about 15+ years ago as a gift...I had no clue how to use it right let alone what good BBQ was. After a failed attempt or two at smoking I gave up on it and stashed it in the shed. Fast forward to the last couple of years...started smoking on my Dad's Traeger and caught the BBQ bug...bought a stick burner and haven't looked back... but was wanting to do some smaller cooks so I dug the WSM out and cleaned her up this past weekend.
Tried out the Minion method for the first time and threw a couple of racks of spares on..overall great results but I have a couple of questions...
The edges of the racks were done well before the middle..any tricks to get them to cook more evenly? Do you flip them over during the cook or leave meat side up or down?
And now the water pan...what do you guys do? water? sand? bricks? I have searched a few sites and found different opinions and apologize in advance if this has been covered here a million times before.

Thanks Scott

Welcome to the forum. You can try rolling your rack of ribs and holing them together with a metal skewer. The main thing is to keep the sides of the ribs away from the outer edge of the rack. That's where all the heat from the pit below comes up.

I put water in the pan unless I'm trying for a higher temperature cook. A lot of the guys use sand with foil on top to ease clean up. Myself, I don't mind cleaning out the pan. I just dump the gunk water into a 5 gal. tub and then pour it into a hole in my back yard. I live on one acre so it's not a big deal.

Looking forward to some WSM posts.

Back
Top Bottom