recipe please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete1

Assistant Cook
The grill/smoker is on the way. Now I need a quick and easy recipe so I can experiment on my kids when they come in Christmas weekend.

As I said before it has been a long time since I fixed anything except burgers and an occasional steak and I would like to impress them with something from the cooker.

Assume that I know nothing. You won't hurt my feelings.

I would give you a special recipe but you would just use somebody elses recipe. No sense in getting coporal tunnel syndrome on that deal huh?

What kind of meat are you preparing? Brisket, Ribs, Pork Shoulder, Chicken, Turkey. Can't give a recipe if we don't have a protein factor.

For Christmas, I normally will smoke a Brisket, and a Ham, while my mother does the old school Turkey. I have recipes for each, just let me know, and I will help you out in any way I can, and the others will help too......

I was thinking of maybe ribs or a roast (either pork or beef) and maybe baked beans or something on the side. My bride will be doing the rest of the cooking. I just want to experiment on the kids. They will usually eat anything cooked outside.

There will be 6 or 7 adults and 4 grandchildren ages 9-12.

Thanks

If you're really new to smoking as all that , I would go with pulled pork. Get a nice pork shoulder ,rub it down and smoke it til it' hits 190... Recipes for rubs and sauces abound on this forum. I believe pulled pork is the true entry level bbq item. And beans and cornbread go good with it!
Good luck

If you're really new to smoking as all that , I would go with pulled pork. Get a nice pork shoulder ,rub it down and smoke it til it' hits 190... Recipes for rubs and sauces abound on this forum. I believe pulled pork is the true entry level bbq item. And beans and cornbread go good with it!
Good luck

X2

Pork tenderloin. Slice it into medallions. Roll the medallions in chopped cilantro. Wrap each medallion with a slice of bacon. Season with some pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Grill them until the bacon is cooked.

I have decided on the pulled pork.

Next question. I was going to get a butt but my wife wants the roast. Will the roast work OK for the pulled pork or does it not have enough fat?

With a roast I'm guessing you mean a pork loin. If that's the case, when it hits 150ish, wrap it in foil for the duration of the cook.

With a roast I'm guessing you mean a pork loin. If that's the case, when it hits 150ish, wrap it in foil for the duration of the cook.

Will that come out like your usual pulled pork? I've never used anything but pork shoulder for PP

Will produce more of a chopped than pulled.

Here is an Idea tell your wife, that you are the cook outside and she can do whatever she wants in the house. LOL. If you are alive after that comment please respond. LMFAO!

Some of the old codgers around here cook loins just like most folks cooks brisket. Liquid and tinfoil. I tried it a time or two but got skeered when it started acting tough and dry. I dont think loins was designed to be cooked like that. If a person has to try it the fattier end of the loin known as the rib end is a much better candidate than the leaner end known as the loin end. If it has fat in it..that is the rib end.

I have never had a loin work when cooked low-and-slow. And I never had any luck trying to "pull"it.

Next question. I was going to get a butt but my wife wants the roast. Will the roast work OK for the pulled pork or does it not have enough fat?
Last time I looked it up, a pork butt WAS a roast.

roast (n) any large cut of meat

BOB

Last edited:

if you give in to the wife and cook pork loin (and why shouldnt you ?) i wouldnt try to make pulled pork out of it . save that for when you have more experience. i would cook it like a pork roast. I.E. , high heat and cook it to an IT of 155 or so. maybe rub it with garlic and herbs first.
pork shoulder pulled pork is fool proof....and IMHO , pork roast pulled pork is not.

I have never had a problem cooking a loin low and slow. I would inject it first with some apple juice and a bit of the rub you are going to use. This will keep it moist thru the cook, don't forget to baste, or mop. Try this rub, it is simple but damn good.

Quarter Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Paprika
1.5 Tbsp. Kosher Salt (dissolves better, and is not as salty as table salt)
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flake
.5 tsp. Chilli Powder
.5 tsp. Red Pepper Powder

Just mix all together then run onto loin.

You may want to use my mop for this too. I use it normally for my ribs but works for all pork.

Here is the mop (sop, whaterver,)

In a medium sauce pan add the following ingredients on a medium heat.
12oz bottle Samuel Adams, or other High Quality Beer
1c. Apple Juice, or Cider
1/4c. Soy Sauce
4TBSP Worcestershire
1/2c. packed brown sugar
3TBSP Garlic Powder
3TBSP Onion Powder
1TBSP Crusher Red Pepper Flake
1TBSP Red Pepper Powder
1TBSP Chilli Powder
1TBSP Tabasco Sauce
1/2tsp Paprika
1tsp Kosher, or Sea Salt

Let this come to a soft boil, then reduce and simmer for about 10 minutes.
After that it is all ready for you to mop those Rib Bones.... It did turn out pretty good, adds a sweet kick.

Try it out, everyone that has had it really likes it.

Back
Top Bottom