Recent Activity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
Two months ago we were splitting wood here and Geoff and Andy came by to help. I put a brisket in the egg early that morning. I put in some hickory on top and set it for slow (250-300) and forgot about it until around 5 that afternoon. I took it off and foiled it for about an hour. We then cut it up and the the five of us enjoyed a great dinner made even more delicious as we all were tired and starving.

I did a couple of butts earlier this month. Cooked 'em Pulled 'em and Froze 'em in 2lb bags. I have been handing them out at work. always a crowd pleaser.

I had a pleasant surprise with my last batch of sauce. I used a non filtered non pasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother included. It made a big positive change in the taste.

Stopped by the Nokesville Virginia Brunswick Stew cook and bought 12 quarts., had some today for lunch. You just cannot match the texture and taste any other way than by cooking over an open fire in a cast iron calutron overnight.

Bought a fresh turkey breast at the local supermarket last week. Brined it, rubbed it with oil and rubbed it with poultry spice blend.
I walked down the the lower part of the lot and picked a hickory branch that have been down all summer and cut it into four short pieces and placed it on top of the coals just before I put in the turkey.
Cooked the turkey on the egg at about 350 till the meat thermometer was at 180. I pulled it off, foiled it till it cooled and then into the frig. We had the best smoked turkey cold cuts all week as well as pot pies and a couple of hot open faced as sandwiches. Good staple!

Melody brought home a turkey for work Thursday so it is in the frig thawing. I will brine it and I think I will deep fry this one. I have a pulley system on the step ladder and I lower it down slowly into the pan. Always tasty.....

Stay hungry my friend!
Chris

Hey glad you found the Bragg's Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar..love that stuff and preach its merits constantly. Found when using it in bbq sauce mop sop and pickling chores..chow chow etc. It works best to get diluted down about half with regular old everyday apple cider vinegar. It can be a bit assertive on small batches of stuff..is all I can figure out. Course its a little more acidic than regular vinegar so that might also be a factor. Just know if a person uses it for the full vinegar ration ..it can make stuff taste funny.

Hey glad you found the Bragg's Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar..love that stuff and preach its merits constantly. Found when using it in bbq sauce mop sop and pickling chores..chow chow etc. It works best to get diluted down about half with regular old everyday apple cider vinegar. It can be a bit assertive on small batches of stuff..is all I can figure out. Course its a little more acidic than regular vinegar so that might also be a factor. Just know if a person uses it for the full vinegar ration ..it can make stuff taste funny.

I'm t.,impressed you picked the brand right off. :)

It imparted a more pronounced apple flavor in my batch. I might try mixing the next batch.

I heat the sauce slowly just to a boil stirring constantly with a little arrowroot to thicken it. It keeps the spice suspended rather than settling to the bottom of the bottle.

Overall it seems the less I fuss over stuff the better it comes out.

Wow you have been busy, but ....... No Picture, No Cook! ;)

img_261463_0_82be071b9bb7fff4ad89034adc29a13f.jpg

So here's the couple of butts I was talking about.
In the background you can see the wood we were splitting

Wow you have been busy, but ....... No Picture, No Cook! ;)

img_261464_0_82be071b9bb7fff4ad89034adc29a13f.jpg

So here's the couple of butts I was talking about. In the background you can see the wood we were splitting the day of the brisket cook.
img_261464_1_d9aad2875685f65c092f2b161377a729.jpg

I was running the splitter that day so there wasn't any pictures of the brisket . I didn't fuss over it, I just slapped some salt and pepper on it, threw it in the egg and went to work on those rounds. Besides the brisket didn't last very long anyway.
img_261464_2_1ce94fdcce1aee6867174b6d758dfb77.jpg

This is the cauldron and wood fire setup at the Nokesville Virginia Nokesville-Bristow Ruritans Brunswick Stew cook. I don't cook B stew, but I sure love to eat it. The smoke gets into the stew in a very subtle way that is just wonderful.
img_261464_3_115f9c8d9d240b81c4d5dc39912ec9d6.jpg

Graham brought the Farmall Cub out along with the ice cream machine and was selling ice cream as fast as it could make it. He and Melody discuss the finer points of the making a custard.

Looks like a fun time was had by all. Nice pics. On the vinegar there is a yup food store up in this area called Market Street..flagship type store for United Grocery out of Lubbock and recnetly bought out by Albertsons which has at least another brand or two of the same stuff other than Braggs. Never have bothered to try any of the other brands. Not sure how they could change it up to make it better for some reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom