Ready for my first WSM experience *Pork Butt PICS*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good Nick! Just use less hicory chunks next time. My family used to complain about too much smoke flavor and I cut back to 2 - 3 chunks in a cook and no more complaints!

Thanks Nick...I'll keep that in mind for next time. Is hickory the standard for pork butt? Seems like most recipes I've read called for apple or oak. or other fruit wood.

Im at 191F. Im running low on time. Im only going to keep it in the cooler for about 30 minutes when I take it off. was planning on 2 hours. I think next time I will put the butt on at midnight. The WSM has proven itself to me that I dont need to watch it every minute like I had to with that offset smoker I use to have.

When you pull the pork apart do you mix in bbq sauce right away or what? Im sending some with my wife over to her inlaws tonight and not sure how to go about it. Want to make sure it stays the best when they get it. (only a 15 minute drive).

Nick,

While 195-205 will usually get you to pullable stage, remember temps are only one way to gauge if the meat is done. I find that when you can grab hold of the bone in the butt (oops Diva's giggling), and it slides out without any resistance and the temps are around 195-205, they are done.

Next cook plan on 2 hours per pound and about a 1 -2 hour rest period; count backwards and that's when you start your cook. If you must foil your butts, that will get you to doneness quicker, but I think it adversely affects the texture of the bark.

Dude, as far as pullin' off the cooker temp 195 is fine . But she still has to rest. Better call Hop Sing for dinner ;)
After it's pulled put a simple vinegar sauce on it and mix it up. Vinegar sauce pulls out the smoke flavor. You won't be dissapointed 8)

Love2<º((((>< said:
I plan on keeping it on til about 195-200 for pulled pork. Is that about right?
I don't know about picnics like you've got, I've never cooked them. For the butt portion, 195 would be minimum, 200 to 205 would be best -- but I'll take it off at 195 if the charcoal is giving out. Leave it wrapped in foil and rest it for an hour or more, then pull. It'll still be hot -- I use nitrile gloves with light cotton gloves inside them to keep from having tender fingers the next day. :)

--John 8)

See Nick....ask a question and it will be answered :D

Bryan I think I did 2 edits myself :shock:
So much info....so little time 8)

Puff said:
See Nick....ask a question and it will be answered :D

Bryan I think I did 2 edits myself :shock:
So much info....so little time 8)

LOL ya no kidding. I really appreciate you guys! I've learned a lot on this forum.

Pulled it off the smoker at 199F. The bone came out really easy. Its in the cooler now...gonna get everything else ready...I'll take some pics and try to post it. Im having a few friends come out in a little bit for a poker game so I may not get a chance to post them tonight.

Love2<º((((>< said:
I think next time I will put the butt on at midnight. The WSM has proven itself to me that I dont need to watch it every minute like I had to with that offset smoker I use to have.

You have just crossed over to the OverNightZone. Your WSM has taught you well. :LOL:

Bone slides out easily...pic a little blurry

It pulls easily

Hounds love pork bones!

Threw some Jack Daniels hickory/brown sugar bbq sauce on it with some sliced pickles on a burger bun....it was pretty good. I could tell right away that it was a little "hammy" as some of you have mentioned it may be. Wife and inlaws were impressed! Poker buddies that ate some bragged all night and thought I was some bbq pro...one guy that I didnt kjnow me asked me if I do bbq contests....Ya right..LOL.

Next time I definetly wont use enhanced if I can help it. but it was good.

Good job Nick, butts are very forgiving, going over or under 5 deg aint gonna hurt none. I went over plenty of times

Back
Top Bottom