Re-Heating Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Need some advice please. My son's baptism is next month and we have 50 or so people coming to the house for dinner. They have asked for BBQ.

I plan on doing pulled pork, ribs, brisket and chicken plus traditional sides and appetizers.

The chicken I plan on doing the day of however the rest will have to be done ahead of time.

Since I typically don't have much in the way of leftovers I have never had to reheat large batches of food.

I do have a food saver I plan on using but the reheating is what worries me.

Bryan S said:
Por pulled pork all you do is drop the foodsaver bag in a pot of boiling water, cover the pot and turn off heat. In 20 - 30 minutes it's done. Cut open the bag and serve. Many do the same thing with ribs and say they come out tasting as good if not better than right off the grill. I myself do not like/hate reheated brisket, so i would cook it that day.

Depends on where the boiling point of water is where you live. For reheating, Food Saver bags are to be simmered below 170* (per manufacturer instructions). I've nothing but good results doing it that way.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about Diva, I have done the reheat food saver thing many times and it's great. Only thing is with the chicken. You can reheat it in the bag then crisp up the skin in the broiler, but if you have every one in the kitchen "helping you out" it can be a pain. If you can TB out the chicken the day of that works the best. For me anyway.
P.S. Please close the darn back door up there. We have enough snow. Thanks. :LOL:

As others have said it's easy to re-heat in a food saver bag. I've also kept warmed (must be heated to 160*) bags in a cooler full of almost boiling water. I reheat bags in a cheep Hamilton Beach roaster, It's easy and fast. It's easiest for me to punch the food saver bags as flat as you can after you seal them.

Brisket & pulled pork, foodsaver in boiling water. Ribs I cook 2-2-1. Instead of finishing the last hour out of foil, I freeze or refridgerate them until serving day. Then I re-heat them under the broiler and add sauce the last 5 minutes.

I slice the brisket, then in a kettle I sweat onions and garlic. I then add beef broth and let it boil and cook down a bit. If the brisket is good and tender, Ill add it to the broth just before serving. If it needs a little "help", Ill add it about an hour before serving. It can be served in the broth or removed and platted. The broth makes a great a'jus (sp?) for dipping rolls into . I use the leftover broth to cook macoroni in !

My Food Saver gave up the ghost, I had two brand new Food Savers not work right out of the box??? Bought a cheap Rival, it does not seem to do as good a job as the FS but it works. I really do not leave food in the freezer long enough to worry about it anyway.

Well got agree with the Pig Boy on this one. The only think worse than bbq chicken is leftover bbq chicken. I would either cook it fresh the day it was supposed to be ate...or take it off the platter so to speak. I aint much on leftover pig parts neither...especially but not limited to ribs. Now I know this fella who say one time that he personally knew of 3 year old freezer kept cooked brisket come in as the grand champ at Meridian one year.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom