Rancher charcoal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
So, Rancher has been getting all the love when it comes to hardwood briquettes. I bought a bag at Trader Joe's a few weeks back and after further review...I think I am becoming a lump convert. Probably not for overnight cooks but I remember the Rancher being so much better than it was last night.

I did two cooks in two different cookers and the ash amount was considerable and the smell on start up was almost like the blue bag kingsford. I was horrified because I didn't remember it being like that...but alas...two different fire ups produced the same crappy smell.

Luckiily I have made fast freiends with Lee Humphrey...the guy who owns Humphrey's Charcoal company...and he lives right here in Cleveland!! (Strongsville) :D

I don't think its fair to bash KF because of their smell when Rancher is smelling the same way more or less...as for ingredients, well, I guess that's debatable...but it was disappointing none the less!

Speaking of briquettes...I have used the Stubbs briquettes from Lowes and they are good; all natural hardwood; no offensive odor; low to medium ash; good burn time.

Don't use them on a regular basis but whenever I'm at Lowes I pick up a few bags.

Bruce B said:
Speaking of briquettes...I have used the Stubbs briquettes from Lowes and they are good; all natural hardwood; no offensive odor; low to medium ash; good burn time.

Don't use them on a regular basis but whenever I'm at Lowes I pick up a few bags.

Bruce I was very happy with Stubbs briquettes, except I did notice alot of smoke and stinch during the initial light up. This was the only bag I tried and I think it may have been damp. But from a cooking and ash standpoint, I really liked them!

I switched to Stubb's. Burns hot and even. I've seen virtually no crumbling pieces in bags. I haven't noticed any offensive stinch at initial lighting. I'm pleased with the results & price.

8)

I picked up a bag of rancher the other day too. I used it on Saturday. Have to agree the smell was horrible.

But, anything is better than Kingsford and all that ash!

Think I might try Stubbs.

OCC Rancher

Greg, I was thinking the same thing, the last few times I used the Ranchers but I've not used it for long. The first bag of OCC Ranchers I bought a few months ago was in its Oridinal OCC Ranchers Bag and best I remember I really liked it, but then a few weeks ago Trader Joe's started getting it in there branded Bag and it did not really seem to be the same, the briquettes apeared to be bigger and it did have some what of a bad smell on start up and there is a bit more ash than I like. However the ribeye steaks I fixed turn out great. I am going to get some Stubb's and have a comparasion to see which I like best or just use the RO lump I was using before.

Captain Morgan said:
wish we had a Trader Joes....is 2 buck Chuck still 2 bucks?
The last few times I was in Joe's I did not see 2 Buck Chuck... I will look alittle more next time I'm in there but I'm thinking its gone? Maybe 4 Buck Chucks!

Back
Top Bottom