Rainy Day Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
This time of year is usually pretty dry here in Souther California but over the last couple of days we've been getting some record rainfall. I put an EZup over my Performer a couple of days ago when the news said we would be getting rain for a week solid. It pored rain most of the day on Sunday so I decided I needed some ribs to brighten things up.

Opened up a pack of Costco baby back ribs and prepared one rack for the cook and vacuum sealed the other two for use later. Rubbed the rack with Suckle Busters Hog Waller. Set the Performer up with Stubb's charcoal and some Royal Oak lump with cherry wood for smoke. Lighted a few briquets with my torch and immediately placed the ribs on the grates and placed the cover on for the cook.

The Performer came up to temperature quickly and by adjusting the vents on the bottom, I was able to maintain a cooking temperature of between 285 and 300 degrees for the 3 hour plus cook. brushed on Susie Q's Sherry Citrus Rib Glaze for the last half hour of the cook.

I never realized that you can smoke ribs so nicely on a Performer until Larry Wolfe posted some of his rib cooks. It works great if you are looking for an easy way to smoke a small quantity of ribs.

Plated the ribs with some left over Pinquito beens and a mixed salad. The ribs really tasted great with the beens.

Hey Lew great color on those bones! Down here is San Diego I cant get the Subbs till March, Lowe's considers it a seasonal product so I have searching high and low for something else.

greeneyes said:
Hey Lew great color on those bones! Down here is San Diego I cant get the Subbs till March, Lowe's considers it a seasonal product so I have searching high and low for something else.
I didn't think San Diego had seasons!! I thought it was summer all the time, so how could it be a seasonal product!! LOL Slowes!!

Great looking bones Lew!!!! I have learned a lot form Larry's posts too. I don't want to tell him that though, I don't want his head to swell up anymore than it is. :LOL:

Lew, dem kettles will hold almost as good as a wsm for short cooks. Bummer on the Stubbs. I can’t get it any longer either. That stuff smells soooo good when it’s lighting. It’s good to finally get some sun today after 5 straight days of heavy rain. I covered the Chaney and got moss growing on it from all the moisture.

Tri Tip said:
Lew, dem kettles will hold almost as good as a wsm for short cooks. Bummer on the Stubbs. I can’t get it any longer either. That stuff smells soooo good when it’s lighting. It’s good to finally get some sun today after 5 straight days of heavy rain. I covered the Chaney and got moss growing on it from all the moisture.

I learned early to put a soup can over the vent stack on the Chaney when not in use .... Must be the first rain you folks have gotten in a very long time :LOL: Hope none of you West Coasters have not had mud in your house :(

Back
Top Bottom