Rack of Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
anyone ever done a Rack of pork on their smoker.. you know.. the loin with the bones still attached. I am thinking of doing some as a second meat for a lady that wants a thanksgiving dinner catered.

I am thinking I would cook them at 250-275 til they hit 145-150 and then slice between the bones.

Or maybe wrap them around into a Crown roast of pork.

any ideas?

Thanks
Gary

Raine,

You should have been at Nelsonville last Saturday. Lamb was the special/
extra category. That lamb looks fantastic.

Gary
I would do rack of pork using same techniques as the prime rib with a higher finish temp aprox 140. I would use the pit temps you suggested so you get an even finish throughout the roast.
Jim

I do a rack or crown of pork every New Year's. I flavor-brine with a spiced apple juice mix, rub with a paste of garlic and herbes de Provence, start at as high a heat as I can get then immediately let it settle to 325 or so. I pull at 147 and rest it a while well-wrapped.

While the meat is cooking I roast garlic. For sauce I puree the roasted garlic with the rested meat's juices and some heavy cream. This I heat then reduce slightly.

I use a little apple for wood.

I cook for a couple in Ga each New Year's. I first used this approach several years ago and they liked it so much they insist I do the same every year.

At Brookside Hill Estate in Brooks, Ga, southwest of Atlanta. Feel free to come on down. We pretty much eat and drink for three days.

A rack is the rib section of the loin, bones frenched, chine bone removed. To make it into a crown roast you (or the butcher) splits between the ribs to make fashioning the crown easier, but it's worth doing anyway. A rack:
img_2.jpg

K Kruger said:
I do a rack or crown of pork every New Year's. I flavor-brine with a spiced apple juice mix, rub with a paste of garlic and herbes de Provence, start at as high a heat as I can get then immediately let it settle to 325 or so. I pull at 147 and rest it a while well-wrapped.

While the meat is cooking I roast garlic. For sauce I puree the roasted garlic with the rested meat's juices and some heavy cream. This I heat then reduce slightly.

I use a little apple for wood.

I cook for a couple in Ga each New Year's. I first used this approach several years ago and they liked it so much they insist I do the same every year.
Man Kevin... that sounds great. =P~

Funny Finney.

I'm not one for buying already-made herb or spice blends but I make an exception for h de P from Penzey's. They make theirs with lavender in the mix--essential in my book. The paste (h de P and garlic) is also very good for ribs on the rotis (a Susan Z suggestion).

Fat people are harder to kidnap.
Now that is funny!

Back
Top Bottom