quick quetion about sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Im going to try the sand in the waterbowl.
I just want to make sure this is right.

Fill it all the way and add water? or fill it 1/2 way and fill with water? any help is appreciated. db

What Nick said.

I have my water pan filled about 1/2 with sand and foiled. NO WATER!

If you look close you can see the foiled pan. Click the thumbnail.

how

How in the hell does that replace water? haha... or is it for certain cuts of meat? or to control the temp. higher? ive got another 9lb butt to smoke tomorrow. im not sure i understand this one so i might not add it tonight and just go with H2O, and then try somthin smaller tomorrow. and i think that was a run on sentence because it ran on and then it turned left to another turn and so on and so on............
thank you guys for the help. Let me Know. thanks. db

The sand and water are nothing more than heat sinks to help control temps. The sand is preferred by some, including me until lately, due to it's stability in controlling temps and the ease of clean-up. You just, fold the grease in the foil and throw it away, then refoil again.

In my WSM, I used a Brinkmann charcoal pan, filled it little over 1/2 with play sand, smooothed it out then foiled over the sand, to catch the drippings.

I might add one thing, when using sand it is imperative to control temps on their way up, if they get too high it's hard to bring them down. But if you start controlling them when your pit reaches around 200-210, it'll settle right in for you around 225.

right on bruce! thanks for all of your help. All of you. 8lb butt about to hit the smoker. 6:45 am mountain time db

thanks..........im gonna do another one during the week i think. The wife came home with 2 - 6 pounders :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom