Question on the basics of smoking ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't move my temps at all doing ribs. They aren't going to go through a rendering plateau like butts, so the temps aren't as crucial. I just keep it around 250 for the entire cook.

The method referenced won't hurt at all either.

I try to keep temps in the 225* to 250* range for the entire cook time.
Since I don't wrap them in foil I keep temps in the lower end of that range for the last 2 hours (6 hrs total) so the crust doesn't get too dark.

after you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Sometimes it only takes a few seconds, sometimes it's a bit more of a wrangle. Like Tex, I use a butter knife and a paper towel, and I always remove the membrane.

TexLaw said:
I think we all know the real secret to getting the membrane off. It's just that we're too scared to let it out into the public.

Microwave, baby. Microwave.

TL

Microwave while its in the foil! That will get the membrane off!

I've never had a problem with getting the membrane off the "Swift" brand loin backs that I get from Costco. Once I get a knife under a 1/4 of the small bone, I can peel the whole thing off with a paper towel easily.

Now... Spares.... A different matter. I find those much more labor intensive to remove the membrane and no matter how hard I try, I can never get them to "rip" off like I would a babyback. I just try to get as much off as I can. I usually am left with a few small patches that are stubborn and I wind up leaving them but poke a series of low surface pokes with knife so they can render somewhat evenly.

Mmmmmm Riiiiibbbbbbbbbss!

What does everybody have against the membrane? I've been cooking ribs for almost 30 years and never removed one. Never had anyone even mention the membrane when they were eatin' my ribs. After 6 hours of cooking it doesn't amount to much. TexLaw says he likes to get rub on the back-side and that makes sense, but other than that?? Perhaps it's a restaurant thing? Or to please a prune faced judge in a competition?
It just seems unnecessary to me.

Remove one, and see if you tell a difference, if not, no biggie.
I've eaten the paper like membrane before, maybe I didn't cook long enough. I don't like it. Plus, I hate one sided tasting food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom