Question on Terminology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I agree with Brian, sounds good!

You can pull the picnic as well if you decide too, just incase you didn't know.

What those guys said...good luck on the cook...don't worry to much about the temp...you will use more fuel but the guru will help

kimmal said:
It doesn't matter that it's "Leg Portion" and not Shoulder?

There are two sections to the "shoulder". The butt is the upper portion and the lower part is the picnic portion. I'm guessing since it's labled "leg portion" it's the picnic. Can you post a pic for us??

kimmal said:
I knew that I should have brought my camera to work. I did take pics but they are at home. I'll have to post them when I get home tonight.

Brian J it looks a little like those.

My concern is that maybe I got a ham and I'm not sure if you use that for pulled pork.

I'm starting to panic/worry a little here. :oops:

As long as it's a fresh ham and not a cured/smoked ham yes you can use it for pulled or chopped pork.

Kimmal,

Whether it is the whole shoulder, boston butt, picnic, or the whole ham they all will good up nice. ALOT of folks in North Carolina only cook hams.

Here are some pictures from the FFA club where I teach high school who cook hams every Monday before Thanksgiving for a fund raiser.

Good luck and keep us posted.

if it has plenty of fat on it....just throw it on .. cook it to 195 and pull away... it will be fine...

if it dont have fat on it... just throw it on .. cook it to 150 and slice and eat it.

a 9lb picnic would be hefty! 9 lbs is on the larger size for a butt! a 9 lb picnic would be big.

That there is the "butt" or top portion of the "ham" or back leg of a pig.

I know, confusing. But the word "butt" on the packaging only refers to the top end of the whole leg or shoulder. Where it comes from on the pig is determined by wheather or not "leg", or "shoulder" proceeds the term.

Either way, it will be tasty. But the "butt" from the leg, or ham will take longer than a "butt" from the shoulder area.

Tim

Looks like a ham to me too. Butts come from the front legs, hams from the rear.

A little insight as to why the meat from the front leg is known as the "butt".

"In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston Butt." This name stuck and today, Boston butt is called that almost everywhere in the US,… except in Boston.

kimmal said:
CarolinaQue said:
Either way, it will be tasty. But the "butt" from the leg, or ham will take longer than a "butt" from the shoulder area.

Will take longer, or shorter. I thought it would shorter as it's a little leaner.

Should I still take it up to 190-195ish in order to pull it?

If you want to pull it, cook to the range you said. If you want to slice it, cook somewhere around 165 - 175*.

I think it will take about 15 hours or so. You also need to add 1 or 2 hours to the time to let the meat rest.

Someone help here on the time of a 9 pound ham.

cleglue said:
I think it will take about 15 hours or so. You also need to add 1 or 2 hours to the time to let the meat rest.

Someone help here on the time of a 9 pound ham.

Not sure exactly how long it will be , but I agree, I would allow yourself 1.5 -2 hrs per pound to be safe. Then an hour or 2 to rest. better to have it wating on you than you on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom