Question on rewarming Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
I will be cooking for a festival this weekend and have a question on ribs. We can start setting up that morning, but I need to be ready to feed by 10 to 10:30 after the parade. What are your thoughts on putting the ribs on at home say 2a or around that time, taking them off around 8a and foil them or put them in a cooler. I would then transport the grill to the festival, take the ribs back out of the cooler and let let back on the grill on smoke setting (Traeger). Do you think this would dry out? any better ideas? I could get there and put them on at 5:30 and run them at 250 and have them done by 10:30 but that sounds like too much trouble. doing 22 racks and gonna sell 1/3 rack plates and pulled pork plates.

thanks for the help! I am cooking 150 pounds of butts the day before (starting tonight) and gonna bag all the meat.

thanks!

chuck

A couple of things:

Don't count on too many people eating ribs and pork butts, at 10am.. people barely have digested breakfast by that time of the morning

reheating... smoker setting on Traeger is about 180* ?? unless you are opening and closing the door alot, that might be too hot , and will certainly dry out the ribs.. all you need to do is keep the food above 140*, and I'm pretty sure you cooler will provide you with that.. see below for reheating pork butts

- most likely, your ribs will still be hot when you take them out of the dry cooler, if they are only sitting for 2 hours... if you take them off at 8AM and have to serve, or be ready to serve at 10am, i will almost garauntee you that they will still be hot, left in that cooler, and the cooler top not being opened at all , until you need to use them.. as well, from your poundage of pork butts, 25? you will have little other room for heating up ribs, and pork butts, in the same unit.. save that space to reheat the pork butts, not ribs

- if it were me, I'd not wrap those ribs in anything...that cooler will provide a moist enuff environment, so they shouldnt dry out...keep the cooler off the ground, on a table, so the health goons dont have a go at you for not having stored food at least 6 inches above the ground.. they can get sticky at times

- pork butts.. i would not pull then until you are ready to use them.. and even at that, i wouldnt pull more than 2 at a time.. that's about 30 sandwiches worth...

- another pork butt ditto.. you will need to re-heat them to AT LEAST back up, and over 165*, since you have pre cooked, then cooled them down..they will still be good if you heat them back to 190ish... provided you wrapped them in film, or foil.. do not be afraid of setting the Teager at 350*-375* to reheat the butts.. shud take about 45 minutes , to an hour, to do so..

-hope you have at least 1, if not 2 people, to help you prep, cook, serve, and take money, or you are in for one very long, hectic, stressfull day... :shock:

Thanks! I am thinking about just putting the ribs bare in the cooler and not foiled. I have plenty of coolers. The pork I am actually cooking tonight and friday and pulling and will rewarm in the bags. I am hoping to sell meat by the pound to take home, too. Huge husker game that afternoon!

If there lettin yall use coolers ta store the ribs in, take about 2 er 3 bricks an wrap in foil, put them in yer oven an warm em up good. Put a towel in the bottom a yer cooler, then the bricks an yer ribs on top. Should give yall a little extra time.

That's great advice from Bob on the ribs.
I'm confused on the bags....what kind of bags? I would pull and reheat in a microwave, (in large tupperware or similar), put in full size foil pans and keep warm in the smoker. Never re-heated a full butt and pulled but guess that would work as well. If ya go that route, I'd make sure to have plenty of help to keep up with demand if it gets busy.
dj

I've smoked my ribs and put in cooler, just pull them off a bit early as they will still cook a bit in the cooler, the I put them back on a glaze them, works good and doesn't dry them out. also on the butts I reheat whole butts wrapped in foir and they pull fine, I spray them with apple juice before I wrap them and it helps alot.

nakedpigbbq said:
Put all the ribs in the cooler and they did great!!!! I put them on in the park and glazed them and they did fine. We sold out!

NICE! hopefully people werent pissed... :LOL: :shock: :D

dollarbill said:
nakedpigbbq said:
Put all the ribs in the cooler and they did great!!!! I put them on in the park and glazed them and they did fine. We sold out!

NICE! hopefully people werent pissed... :LOL: :shock: :D

Glad it worked out for ya Nakey

And, who cares if they were pissed.. ya sold out :shock: .. the object of the execise IS to sell out :roll: .. people who were turned away will just be hungry for more the next time ya set up.. ya cant please everyone, and the reality of it is, you are there to make money while putting your name out there in apositive way for future endeavors. :idea: .unless vast capital investment is made, ya need to be happy with what you are able to produce... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom