Question on cut style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
gjabo178 said:
btw...I'm new to the bbq scene.
I had success with my first bbq, a butt, two weeks ago and I want to try ribs next.
One of my local butchers has a special on spares, but they're country style.
Is that what I want?... I'm trying to find St.Louis.
The price is 1.99lb. Is that a decent price?

Since it will be my first rib bbq should I start with BB or spares?
Cheers
Greg

Country Style Ribs are cut from the Boston Butt. SL Cut ribs are spare ribs that have had the breast bone removed. If you want to cook a "rack" of ribs, ask your butcher for either spare ribs or loin back ribs. LB Ribs will cost more, but there is not much trimming involved other than removing the membrane if you wish and a little extra fat.

It is not necessary to trim the spare ribs to SL Style if you do not want to, it is just a preference. I'd suggest since this is your first attempt at ribs to try a rack of spares. They'll be more forgiving due to the fat content than LB's. Figure about 6-7 hours total cooking time for a rack of spares. Here's a link to trimming and selecting ribs, hope it helps.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect2.html

GJ, country style ribs ain't bad, but that's not what you're after.
Ask the butcher if he can cut the spareribs St. Louis style, if not,
just get em and we can tell you how to trim them.

They'll be more than 1.99 a pound though.

cleglue said:
Should we tell him the 3-2-1 method?

Good thought!!!

Greg,
There are different methods of cooking ribs which consist of cooking ribs in the smoke for several hours, then foiling the ribs for 1-2 hours and then unfoiling the ribs and cooking for another hour to firm back up and sauce. And some just don't foil at all. The advantage of foiling is you come out with consistent ribs everytime. Some folks use a 3-2-1 method, I use a 4-1-1 method. 4 hours in the smoke, 1 hour in foil, then 1 hour back on the cooker unfoiled. Those times are approximate and are for spare ribs. If you choose to go the Loin Back route then your times will be closer to 3-1-1, with the 1 hours probably being closer to 45 minutes vs. the hour mark. You can tell the ribs are done when the meat has pulled back off the bone by about an inch and you can easily "tear" the bones apart.

gjabo178 said:
Good deal, Thanks guys!

I was going to try one rack wet and one dry.
1. For the dry one should I still use the foil method?

2. Also when you said 'loin back' is that another way to say baby back?

1. Yes they will firm/crust up for the last hour you have them out of the foil.

2. Yes

Back
Top Bottom