Question of the Day..... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Question of the Day.....

Is one a true pitmaster if they use a fuel source other than 100% wood?

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #2

Re: Question of the Day.....

Yup, I like the microwave technique! After you told me how, I mastered it!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Yup, I like the microwave technique! After you told me how, I mastered it!
Ahh the good old days!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #4

Hell Larry, We all cheat. Be nice to use wood all he time. I can, and do when I'm with the motor home. Just the blender and adult beverages get in the way.

Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs On The Wing BBQ
Hell Larry, We all cheat. Be nice to use wood all he time. I can, and do when I'm with the motor home. Just the blender and adult beverages get in the way.

Pigs
You are missing the point of the question. I'm not saying we all use all wood, or anything of the sort. Most of us don't refer to ourselves as PitMaster's either, I know I'm certainly not one. How can one be a pit master if they have not mastered the art of making BBQ the traditional way with wood and burnt down coals?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Cooker

[quote=Larry Wolfe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Pigs On The Wing BBQ":20fxgu50

Pigs
You are missing the point of the question. I'm not saying we all use all wood, or anything of the sort. Most of us don't refer to ourselves as PitMaster's either, I know I'm certainly not one. How can one be a pit master if they have not mastered the art of making BBQ the traditional way with wood and burnt down coals?[/quote:20fxgu50]

I don't think any of us can be looked at as a traditional PitMaster because as you say, none of us burn down wood and only use the coals. Then again, none of us have the traditional pits either and they are now against the law is most states. The only ones that exist still have been grandfathered in (as far as I know). I think for any of us to be considered a true PitMaster at this point, we need to be in comps and winning. No matter what you're cooking with, if you're winning...you're winning!

22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, 22.5 Weber OTG
ChuckBBQSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #7

[quote=ChuckBBQSmoker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Pigs On The Wing BBQ":2t6mhev2

Pigs
You are missing the point of the question. I'm not saying we all use all wood, or anything of the sort. Most of us don't refer to ourselves as PitMaster's either, I know I'm certainly not one. How can one be a pit master if they have not mastered the art of making BBQ the traditional way with wood and burnt down coals?
I don't think any of us can be looked at as a traditional PitMaster because as you say, none of us burn down wood and only use the coals. Then again, none of us have the traditional pits either and they are now against the law is most states. The only ones that exist still have been grandfathered in (as far as I know). I think for any of us to be considered a true PitMaster at this point, we need to be in comps and winning. No matter what you're cooking with, if you're winning...you're winning![/quote:2t6mhev2]

Very untrue in so many ways. Where are BBQ Pit's banned? Where are stick burners banned? As far as competitions go, that makes you no more of a pitmaster than, making you a NASCAR driver and winning the Daytona 500 in a go cart. Competition cooking unforturnately is SOOOOOOOOO far different than traditional BBQ, there is no comparison. You could NOT sit down and enjoy a plate of Competition BBQ like you could a Traditional plate of BBQ. Two totally different animals.

My point is if you can cook BBQ from start to finish to perfection using only wood or wood and coals on a consistent basis and turn out the exact same BBQ everytime with a naturally aspirated wood/coal (burnt down wood not charcoal) fire, then you can consider yourself a true Pitmaster. If you use charcoal, or artifical air, gas or even worse electricity, what makes you a master of something that is basically controlled for you???
Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #8

Well I think it works sorta like down at the Bait Shop. After working there a year and dispensing a case of bait a person becomes a Master Baiter. After cooking a case of briskets over a years time a person becomes a Master Pitter. Simple huh?
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well I think it works sorta like down at the Bait Shop. After working there a year and dispensing a case of bait a person becomes a Master Baiter. After cooking a case of briskets over a years time a person becomes a Master Pitter. Simple huh?
Your analogy works for me!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #10

Let me add.......one who uses an electric pellet feed smoker is no more of a Pitmaster, than I am God. That's nothing more than an oven with wood flavor. Anything you electronically control your temps with rules you out from being a Pitmaster in my book, PERIOD. Good cook, yes.....Pitmaster NOT!