Question of the Day.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3 Olives said:
My daughter filled her Sentra with diesel, bought dog food instead of cat food, and bounced checks because she failed to deposit checks all in a 3 week period. I asked her how she remembers all the drink recipes when she bartends. She said if a drink calls for more than 2 ingredients they have a bottled mixer for it. Times have changed....., and,no, I would not call her a bartender.

Couldn't have been said better, at least someone understands my point.

Nick, I am not jealous of anyone. I am actually vey proud and happy for Puff. I remember day one here on the forum he didn't know much, now he's doing it for a living. We could all see how he was a natural at cooking through his pictures etc.

My point is the title 'Pitmaster' is a very prominent title, that not everyone could have some time ago because the process of making BBQ was more involved, monitored and hands on than it is in todays times. It took knowledge, trial and error and lots of experience to know how many shovel fulls of lit coals you needed to add and when to add and when the meat was done or needed to be turned.

The title 'Pitmaster' today is used like described above, just because you're called one doesn't mean you are one. You can be a good cook that makes fantastic BBQ, but that doesn't make you a 'Pitmaster' in my view.

People that use anything that is controlled by a thermostat are some good examples. What kind of skill does it take to plug a 'pit' in, set a thermometer and cook? Should that qualify them as a Pitmaster? They're a master of setting a thermometer, not adding coals to maintain temps at the right time to sustain a proper cooking temp.

I do not mean any offence to Puff or anyone else, I'm just saying the title Pitmaster is used very loosely. As is KCBS Certified Judge.......take a class = you're a judge. ********

Experience that's what makes one a Pitmaster.
The experience to pick the right cut of meat (not paying big bucks for a wagu brisket or berkshire pork) turning a piece of garbage meat and turning it into BBQ gold. The ability to draw on that experience and tell just by looking at a piece of meat on the pit how far along in the cooking process it is. The ability to make the adjustments necessary to keep a constant temp or to ramp up the temp so the meat is done on time.

The experience to trim a piece of meat up, mix up a rub (a true pit master will know how to mix the right ingredients to make a great rub). Or to select a commercial rub that will work well with the other facets of the finished product.

The experience to use the right kind and amounts of wood during the process so that the finished product is balanced. The experience to smell the smoke and no that the fire is burning true and clean and if it isn't making the necessary adjustments. Selecting or making the right sauce to finish to accompany the rub, smoke and meat.

The experience to know when the meat is done and how long to rest it. The experience to slice a brisket across the grain. The experience to continually put out a consistent finished product while dealing with ever changing environmental factors and other nuisances.

As for the pits with thermostatic controls...they might have a place in the restaurant and catering business when cost and knowledge are issues. But I have a big issue with them being used in comps...to me it is like using a moped to run a marathon....

wittdog said:
Experience that's what makes one a Pitmaster.
The experience to pick the right cut of meat (not paying big bucks for a wagu brisket or berkshire pork) turning a piece of garbage meat and turning it into BBQ gold. The ability to draw on that experience and tell just by looking at a piece of meat on the pit how far along in the cooking process it is. The ability to make the adjustments necessary to keep a constant temp or to ramp up the temp so the meat is done on time.

The experience to trim a piece of meat up, mix up a rub (a true pit master will know how to mix the right ingredients to make a great rub). Or to select a commercial rub that will work well with the other facets of the finished product.

The experience to use the right kind and amounts of wood during the process so that the finished product is balanced. The experience to smell the smoke and no that the fire is burning true and clean and if it isn't making the necessary adjustments. Selecting or making the right sauce to finish to accompany the rub, smoke and meat.

The experience to know when the meat is done and how long to rest it. The experience to slice a brisket across the grain. The experience to continually put out a consistent finished product while dealing with ever changing environmental factors and other nuisances.

As for the pits with thermostatic controls...they might have a place in the restaurant and catering business when cost and knowledge are issues. But I have a big issue with them being used in comps...to me it is like using a moped to run a marathon....

Well said!

Larry Wolfe said:
ChuckBBQSmoker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3dn66izd][quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3dn66izd]Hell Larry, We all cheat. Be nice to use wood all he time. I can, and do when I'm with the motor home. Just the blender and adult beverages get in the way. :LOL:

Pigs

You are missing the point of the question. I'm not saying we all use all wood, or anything of the sort. Most of us don't refer to ourselves as PitMaster's either, I know I'm certainly not one. How can one be a pit master if they have not mastered the art of making BBQ the traditional way with wood and burnt down coals?

I don't think any of us can be looked at as a traditional PitMaster because as you say, none of us burn down wood and only use the coals. Then again, none of us have the traditional pits either and they are now against the law is most states. The only ones that exist still have been grandfathered in (as far as I know). I think for any of us to be considered a true PitMaster at this point, we need to be in comps and winning. No matter what you're cooking with, if you're winning...you're winning![/quote:3dn66izd]

Very untrue in so many ways. Where are BBQ Pit's banned? Where are stick burners banned? As far as competitions go, that makes you no more of a pitmaster than, making you a NASCAR driver and winning the Daytona 500 in a go cart. Competition cooking unforturnately is SOOOOOOOOO far different than traditional BBQ, there is no comparison. You could NOT sit down and enjoy a plate of Competition BBQ like you could a Traditional plate of BBQ. Two totally different animals.

My point is if you can cook BBQ from start to finish to perfection using only wood or wood and coals on a consistent basis and turn out the exact same BBQ everytime with a naturally aspirated wood/coal (burnt down wood not charcoal) fire, then you can consider yourself a true Pitmaster. If you use charcoal, or artifical air, gas or even worse electricity, what makes you a master of something that is basically controlled for you???[/quote:3dn66izd]

I was talking about restaurants. Most states you are not allowed to have traditional an open pits anymore. Comps are much different I know that. My point was to be recognized by anyone in todays stupid society as a "pitmaster" is if you have won BBQ comps. That is probable the only way. They'll want to see how many torphies you have. Doesn't matter if you can cook better than a restaurant with a "pitmaster". All people want to see are trophies. Other than that, you're considered a no body.

Aint seen or heard tell of any of that bunch in quite a spell. Last I heard some of the group was still meeting at Bob and Ginger's to cook hawgs and have fun once a year or so. Big Jim had lost both legs to diabetes but was still cooking up a storm. Wiviot got sulled up at me and refused to speak for the past decade or so. Not sure whut sin was inflicted on him. I think he might be might be mad over being a yankee or something.

[/quote]
Speaking of the old boys, Ya ever hear from Big Jim? or Bruce Cook? Talked to Gary Wiviot last week, got a new book coming out soon. Lot of folk don't like the boy. He's okay in my book. Ginger is still my fav. :D[/quote]

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="3 Olives":2qh797id]My daughter filled her Sentra with diesel, bought dog food instead of cat food, and bounced checks because she failed to deposit checks all in a 3 week period. I asked her how she remembers all the drink recipes when she bartends. She said if a drink calls for more than 2 ingredients they have a bottled mixer for it. Times have changed....., and,no, I would not call her a bartender.

Couldn't have been said better, at least someone understands my point.

Nick, I am not jealous of anyone. I am actually vey proud and happy for Puff. I remember day one here on the forum he didn't know much, now he's doing it for a living. We could all see how he was a natural at cooking through his pictures etc.

My point is the title 'Pitmaster' is a very prominent title, that not everyone could have some time ago because the process of making BBQ was more involved, monitored and hands on than it is in todays times. It took knowledge, trial and error and lots of experience to know how many shovel fulls of lit coals you needed to add and when to add and when the meat was done or needed to be turned.

The title 'Pitmaster' today is used like described above, just because you're called one doesn't mean you are one. You can be a good cook that makes fantastic BBQ, but that doesn't make you a 'Pitmaster' in my view.

People that use anything that is controlled by a thermostat are some good examples. What kind of skill does it take to plug a 'pit' in, set a thermometer and cook? Should that qualify them as a Pitmaster? They're a master of setting a thermometer, not adding coals to maintain temps at the right time to sustain a proper cooking temp.

I do not mean any offence to Puff or anyone else, I'm just saying the title Pitmaster is used very loosely. As is KCBS Certified Judge.......take a class = you're a judge. ********[/quote:2qh797id]
Larry, thanks to you and others on this board I can do this for a living and support my family after the trade I worked hard at for 20 years took a shit due to the economy. Due to the amount I cook on a daily basis it's still very challenging using the cooker at work. You still have to judge the right amount of wood. Too much and you have a mess, too little and you have junk. I did manage to bust out the WSM last Sunday and cooked ribs at home for the first time in a year. I miss that. When I open my own place it will be wood only.
Btw, I prefer Pit Bastard, or Pit Bitch. Don't care much for Pitmaster. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom