Pulling Pork Cold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonM1

Assistant Cook
Happy New Year Everyone.!!!!!!

I managed to stay awake long enough to finish cooking 2 butts yesterday but I didn't have it in me to actually get them pulled. They now are sitting in my fridge

I have never pulled pork cold so Can anyone tell me what to expect and any tips or hints would be helpfull

Thanks in Advance

Jon

Yes it is very hard! May be try to warm them up if you plan on serving them right after you pull them.

Chris

i am bringing them into work tomorrow for lunch one of my bosses gave me the Gift Certificate for Christmas to a local butcher ($2.69 /lb , ouch)and I told him I would use it to get some butts and do Sammies for lunch on Tuesday

Oh well it looks like i am in for a workout

Thanks

An equal mix of chicken broth and beef broth...aproximates what pork drippings are like (acording to the Baron of BBQ).....my wife did that once with the pork....it was a pain to pull cold....next time wrap them in a towel and put them in a clean empty cooler..they will keep warm and you'll be able to pull them in the morning.....If you taking them to work for lunch I would probably take a crockpot with me...put a whole butt in with a cup of the chicken/beef mix..and let the butt reheat and then pull it right before lunch....sprinkle a little rub on and then back in the crock pot..

Since you're taking it to work to reheat, I'd use Nicks suggestion! You don't wanna reheat anymore time than you need to.

AM I too late???

Not sure if you've pulled it or not, but some info that you may be able to use in the future.

To re-heat whole butts or other cuts, I like to double wrap in foil with a little apple cider and put it in a 350* oven or cooker with a meat thermometer. Once it hit's up around 165* I take it off and let rest for about 30 minutes, then pull, or do a course chop. Depending on what I'm in the mood for or what the guests or customer wants.

Hope this helps a bit.

May the smoke be with you!

I let 'em heat up till around 160 internal. Rest 15 to 30 minutes and pull. Or use Nick's method but try and pick out the chunks of cold blubber.

Thanks, guys, these are good ideas if I ever get in that situation again. Having dealt with refrigerated butts a couple of times, I don't care how late I have to stay up to pull it warm/hot. :roll:

--John 8)

Pulling the butts cold wasn't too too bad. Some of the fat that I would assume "run" out of the meat if pulled hot was still in there and i did loose some of the bark, it just felt rubbery,, but there weren't any complaints when it got reheated at work..

Thanks for all your help!!!

Jon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom