Pulled Pork Sliders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
My wife is a school teacher and once a month she and a bunch of her teacher friends get together for a dice game called Bunko. It's at our house this Tuesday evening and she asked if I would provide them with some BBQ. I couldn't think of anything better than pulled pork sliders. This is the same dish I prepared for my son's wedding reception one month ago.

I seasoned two eight lb. pork butts with SuckleBusters Hog Waller rub and injected them with Kosmo's Pork Injection mixed with Guava juice. Then I wrapped them in plastic and put them in the fridge for about 12 hours.

Set up the WSM with a bottom layer of Stubb's briquets and some pecan wood for smoke. Finished filling the charcoal ring to the top with Royal Oak lump charcoal and topped that with some apple wood. Lit the coals at bout 11:30 P.M. and got the butts on about midnight. Went to bed about 1:30 a.m. after the temp in the WSM settled in and my wife unlocked the sliding door to let me back in the house. Needless to say, she wasn't real happy that I locked myself outside that early in the morning.

Woke up about 5:30 a.m. this morning and the rack temp was steady at 256 and the internal temp on the butt was 186 degrees. I let them cook until I got a 203 internal reading. I think the probe was in a fat pocket because my thermapen readings were a lot lower in other parts of the butt.

Let the butts rest foiled in a cooler for about two hours before pulling them. My eldest son got me a pork pulling drill gizmo for Father's Day so I was looking forward to trying it out. It made short work of the butts. You have to go easy with it or you'll end up with pork pate.

The pulled pork sliders were great. I had two for lunch as a test. I make them on a Costco sweet dinner roll with some apple butter spread on the bottom, then the pork and a layer of KFC coleslaw. Dressed the sliders with Reverend Marvin's on one and SuckleBuster's BBQ sauce on the other. These came out fantastic. Those teachers should be as happy as pigs in ____ on Tuesday night. :LOL:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Griff said:
What did you think of the powered puller? The sandwich looked great.
It took a bit of getting used to. At first, the bowl wanted to take off like a flying saucer when I squeezed the trigger on the drill. You also have to have a light touch with it so you don't end up with pork pate.

I have to say, it did a real nice job of pulling and mixing the meat. All the juices and the little bit of fat that didn't get completely rendered out add a lot to the taste of the meat. It used to take me about an hour to pull a try of meat. I have arthritis in my hands and it can be a real chore. This time round with the power puller, I was done with both butts in a couple of minutes.

Wow those look great Lew, my guess is you will be the teacher's pet :D A little birdie gave me a suggestion using Reverend Marvin's and mix it 50/50 with Sweet Baby Rays, we have been doing that recently and it is KILLER!

These look great Lew; Toby's wife and my wife play bunco too and once a year we get it at our homes as well. I hope we can do something like this for them too (without locking ourselves out of the house). I like the KFC coleslaw too; I love their coleslaw!

Great lookin' sammies Lew. The wife couldn't be too put out by having to let you in at such a late hour. Afterall, you were doing this for her! :LOL: :LOL: Way to take one for the team by having to stay up late tending the fire for her party and I'm sure partaking in an adult beverage or two. ;) :D

That is by far my favorite Q. Bun, pork, Sauce, Slaw Bun. Repeat! You can have the ribs. I'll take that any time.

looks out standing Lew! I've been waitin to hear a review about those pullers. It would probably save time if catering for a large group.

Back
Top Bottom