Pulled Pork on WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has officially given me a headache! I can envision someone who is new to BBQ reading this post about formulas, ratios, cube 1 and cube 2 size mass etc...................They're going to sign off the computer pound a 12 pack and then head to McDonalds for a McRib. :LOL:

You'd think we were trying to build the Hoover dam as technical as this has gotten. :roll:

Larry Wolfe said:
This has officially given me a headache! I can envision someone who is new to BBQ reading this post about formulas, ratios, cube 1 and cube 2 size mass etc...................They're going to sign off the computer pound a 12 pack and then head to McDonalds for a McRib. :LOL:

You'd think we were trying to build the Hoover dam as technical as this has gotten. :roll:

LMAO....sorry Larry.... [smilie=sorry.gif]

I just got wrapped up in the scientific aspect he had to make on it all......
I guess I'm wierd because I found it quite interesting!

No offense boar_d_laze but I'm sure I will NEVER use your science for
cooking or figuring a cook...but something definately intrigues me about
your side of the fence and I gotta thank you for taking the time explaining
it until I understood what you meant........
OK, I probably lied.......now that I know what you are getting at........I'm
SURE that information will be rattling about in the windmills of my mind
each time I attempt a cook!!!! ;) :LOL:

Heres a simple way to look at the surface area thing that I think everyone could understand.

You have a 8 pound butt. You cut it in half. You have 2 4lbs butts and each has a extra side (the cut side). So more surface area. So if you compare cooking the 2 4lbs butts to the 1 8lbs butts you can easily see how there is more overall surface area.

Well I hope you easily see it :)

Well I find the scientific ramifications of the discussions very interesting. While I may not understand it all dont think it hurts a thing to have a person around who can explain the things we observe while sweating over the pits. Reminds me of my old now dearly deceased pal Jim "Ace" Prather, Astro Physical Engineer. He was a hoot and could show you the math on brisket cooking. He was a good myth debunker. Thanks Boar.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I find the scientific ramifications of the discussions very interesting. While I may not understand it all dont think it hurts a thing to have a person around who can explain the things we observe while sweating over the pits. Reminds me of my old now dearly deceased pal Jim "Ace" Prather, Astro Physical Engineer. He was a hoot and could show you the math on brisket cooking. He was a good myth debunker. Thanks Boar.

bigwheel

Who ever said it hurt to have Rich around? :roll:

Well I detected some nagging about his scientifical approach. I am good at detecting nagging cuz I used to be married to a nagger.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I detected some nagging about his scientifical approach. I am good at detecting nagging cuz I used to be married to a nagger.

bigwheel

I wouldn't necessarily call it nagging, I would call it more of picking fun. I don't necessarily understand, agree or want to learn or listen to the scientific explanations about making something as simple as BBQ. I would prefer to keep it in Layman's Terms. But Rich has the right to explain things however he wants to and we also have the right to listen or not to listen. My jabs at Rich were not meant in a harmful way. I was picking with him the way I pick with everyone else and they do me in return. I didn't mean to come off as "nagging" or being disrespectful towards Rich. He's obviously a very educated person with a wealth of knowledge and very interesting at times.

If my replies were offensive, that wasn't the intention!

Ok..figgered you was just joshing. Everything in good fun. Old Ace used to cause quite a commotion at times too..but definitinitely added some new dimensiions to the discussion.

bigwheel

Rocket Science hour -where's Alton Brown when you need him??

Larry Wolfe said:

Well you both got a point (I have a B.S in Computer Science, so that qualifies me as a nut who likes to over analyze things). I like Mr. Scientist who lays this out pretty logical and Larry that has officially thrown in the towel (at this point. I haven't read on). So, I'm getting out of this that a smaller piece of tough meat will require more energy (relative to size) to make it tender then a larger piece of meat, but risk the loss of moisture.

So I have two comments:
1. Should we foil wrap the little guy so he can steam to death and use our brown paper bags that can breathe and have better bark for the big guy and
2. Has anyone given thought to the size of your cooking vessel? That is, who cares about the fixed size of molecules. Last time I checked, my WSM hasn't changed sizes. I'm thinking that if I have a large piece of meat, my WSM will be easier to regulate the temps 'cause the meat will absorb some of the energy while the little cut won't absorb as much (unless you guys are going to argue on how many pieces of charcoal or logs to use in your respective smokers). Would 20 pieces of charcoal be good for the little meat and 40 pieces be good for the larger one?
1 CI should have 20 chunks
8 CI should have 25 chunks
27 CI should have 30 chunks
64 CI should have 40 chunks

See. there. I made that up. I'm thinking that my chicken wing will be burnt well before my cornish game hen has a chance to render into some chicken stock or whatever. Get the point? Damn!! 2am. too late for some McRibs. Night!!!!!!

Just wondering.

Re: Rocket Science hour -where's Alton Brown when you need h

WildFireEric said:
Larry Wolfe said:

Well you both got a point (I have a B.S in Computer Science, so that qualifies me as a nut who likes to over analyze things). I like Mr. Scientist who lays this out pretty logical and Larry that has officially thrown in the towel (at this point. I haven't read on). So, I'm getting out of this that a smaller piece of tough meat will require more energy (relative to size) to make it tender then a larger piece of meat, but risk the loss of moisture.

So I have two comments:
1. Should we foil wrap the little guy so he can steam to death and use our brown paper bags that can breathe and have better bark for the big guy and
2. Has anyone given thought to the size of your cooking vessel? That is, who cares about the fixed size of molecules. Last time I checked, my WSM hasn't changed sizes. I'm thinking that if I have a large piece of meat, my WSM will be easier to regulate the temps 'cause the meat will absorb some of the energy while the little cut won't absorb as much (unless you guys are going to argue on how many pieces of charcoal or logs to use in your respective smokers). Would 20 pieces of charcoal be good for the little meat and 40 pieces be good for the larger one?
1 CI should have 20 chunks
8 CI should have 25 chunks
27 CI should have 30 chunks
64 CI should have 40 chunks

See. there. I made that up. I'm thinking that my chicken wing will be burnt well before my cornish game hen has a chance to render into some chicken stock or whatever. Get the point? Damn!! 2am. too late for some McRibs. Night!!!!!!

Just wondering.

Eric please pass over what you're smoking, cause it's gotta be good stuff! :LOL:

I haven't seen anything from Rich in a while. Sure hope he didn't feel run off because I have learned a LOT from him and his great explanations.

Rag said:
I haven't seen anything from Rich in a while. Sure hope he didn't feel run off because I have learned a LOT from him and his great explanations.

Glad to see the rest of us here are appreciated! :LOL: I'll try not to bore you with my to the point "Layman Terms" replies.

Flytyer said:
The proof of the pudding is in the eating - goes for pork butt as well.

Thanks for accurately quoting that. I cringe every time I hear somebody say "the proof is in the pudding." Philistines. :x

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom