PULLED BEEF QUESTION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
How do you figure meat shrinkage for pulled beef? What do you use? I have a request for a catering job for 400+ people and they want half pulled pork and half pulled beef. I have looked at the "chuck rolls" in the meat department, and they look like they would work well, but they are $3/pound. Any suggestions?

Also, how much sauce would you allow for 400+ sandwiches?

thanks!

Chuck

nakedpigbbq said:
How do you figure meat shrinkage for pulled beef? What do you use? I have a request for a catering job for 400+ people and they want half pulled pork and half pulled beef. I have looked at the "chuck rolls" in the meat department, and they look like they would work well, but they are $3/pound. Any suggestions?

Also, how much sauce would you allow for 400+ sandwiches?

thanks!

Chuck

Plan on 50% yield for the beef. There's alot of fat and 'junk' in chuck roasts. If you go the chuck roll route, cut it into 6-8lb roasts vs. cooking the whole thing. Any chuck roast will work fine for pulled beef, so check around your local grocers to see what's on sale.

Figure about 1/4 cup of sauce per sandwich and that should be more than enough as some will use more, some will use less and some will use none at all.

Pulled beef? That sounds like some kinda yankme deal. Where is the rope and the hawg knife? Why not just serve mushy briskets? Would think it be a lot mo cheaper than chuck roast..less you caught it on sale or something. General thinking on packer brisket waste is around 60%. If your buying them by the case sight unseen that is prob close to true. If you are hand picking them with a bunch to choose from the odds improve a lot. I always figger raw weight at a pound per adult person with either packer briskets or bone in butts. Have neva run out of food on that deal but you still need somebody in charge of portion control at least on the first pass.

bigwheel

Chuck roll costs more, because it needs to be butchered off the whole primal.. That happens with most meat, hence the spike in price ... less butchering = less price

So, in that vain, buy the whole thing, deboned, which consists of NAMP 116E (roll) and 116D (underblade)..

of course, if you want to go for the gusto, buy the entire 116.. I actually ordered this by mistake once.. kinda freaked out.. ok i freaked out alot lol!! but i made through it ..long story :shock: , but it turned out well in the end ..

wish I had this video when it happened.. the last cut left is the 116E and 116D, before it is broken down to roll and underblade ...that one probably weights over 30 pounds

http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D/eng/show ... ration.swf

another suggestion is to buy 1/2 chuck. 1/2 shoulder clod. which is typically 1/3rd less then
Chuck NAMP 114

PM me for my number if ya need any help

Thanks everyone! I am actually just getting back on the forum now..been busy with work. I have 2 18 pound chuck rolls and 8 pork butts on the smoker now. Will see how they turn out. I bought a Traeger Com200 so I finally have plenty of room! Will let you know how it turns out.

thanks!

chuck

Back
Top Bottom