Potatoes in the WSM - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Potatoes in the WSM

Anyone ever do "baked" potatoes in the WSM ? Im doing a small pork loin tonight and tought Id throw some bakers in...Any thoughts ?

john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #2

Put them directly on the coals and cook for 1 hr.
If you have "How to Grill" or other grilling and BBQ cook books, I'm sure most cover it to some extent.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #3

John,
Foil them and place them directly on the coals. They're done when you can insert a skewer easily into the tater. Probably 1-1.5 hrs depending on your cooking temps.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #4

Tks....
Old 03-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Wizard of Que

Pics Please. Wanna see that new cooker in action! =D>
Old 03-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

Try rubbing some butter or evoo on the taters, sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt, foil and cook untill done, add your favorite fixins. Great and easy side dish on a campout or anytime.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #7

Loins at 156..did the potatoes in a cast iron skillet in the oven..halfed them and did them with butter...
Old 03-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
Smoker

If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

I like them cooked in foil (I oil/butter/season like Dale) but potatoes cooked in foil don't really bake, they steam.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
BBQ Central Pro

Right on Kevin. I dont foil my "baked taters" either. Just for the camp.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Kruger
If you want a baked potato skip the foil. Stick them in the coals and rotate periodically. Pierce once with fork when they're almost done. The skins will blacked and carbonize and be inedible (so servem on a side plate) but the interior will be light and flaky and very flavorful. Sweet potatoes are great cooked in coals too. For edible skin cook them up on the grate (they'll take longer unless you're doing a high hat cook).

I like them cooked in foil (I oil/butter/season like Dale) but potatoes cooked in foil don't really bake, they steam.
What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o
Old 03-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #11

[quote=Larry Wolfe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K Kruger":akuk72ua

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o[/quote:akuk72ua]
Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
Wizard of Que

[quote=Larry Wolfe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K Kruger":1hxcksj7

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o[/quote:1hxcksj7]
I have to agree with that. When I was a kid I would scrape out the potato and load the skin up with butter and eat them like a taco!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #13

[quote=Finney]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K Kruger":2sa1tpac

What's the point in eating a baked potato if you can't eat the skin? That's the best part! #-o
Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr. [/quote:2sa1tpac]

I understand that Finnstigator! But that wasn't the question at hand, the question was "how to cook a tater on on your WSM", not a Kettle. BTW, I don't have a 1TG! 8-[
Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #14

I don't know why, but here goes....what's a 1TG?
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B
I don't know why, but here goes....what's a 1TG?
Weber One Touch Gold
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #16

[quote=Larry Wolfe][quote=Finney]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Larry Wolfe":13p0tuhv
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K Kruger":13p0tuhv

Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr. [/quote:13p0tuhv]

I understand that Finnstigator! But that wasn't the question at hand, the question was "how to cook a tater on on your WSM", not a Kettle. BTW, I don't have a 1TG! 8-[[/quote:13p0tuhv]
Okay then... crank up your WSM to 375*, oil potato and cook for 1 hr.

in seach of Umami
Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #17

[quote=Finney][quote=Larry Wolfe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Larry Wolfe":31y3si1z
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K Kruger":31y3si1z

Then fire up your 1TG to 375* and cook indirect for 1 hr.
I understand that Finnstigator! But that wasn't the question at hand, the question was "how to cook a tater on on your WSM", not a Kettle. BTW, I don't have a 1TG! 8-[[/quote:31y3si1z]
Okay then... crank up your WSM to 375*, oil potato and cook for 1 hr.[/quote:31y3si1z]

LOL! Nah I'll just use the Performer! :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:
Old 03-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #18

Here's the finished product...
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #19

That doesn't look like potatoes. :-k

in seach of Umami
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #20

Did the potatoes in the oven to go with this pork loin I did in the WSM. The potatoes looked like hell but tasted great..