Pork Turn In Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the chunks might be a bit on the large side too. Also, it looks a little dry to me (Prolly just the pic). I prolly would have added the additional rub and tossed the meat before putting it in the container and maybe spritzed it a bit with AJ.

Chris it looks to me like you need more shine to the box. I don't know what sanctioning body you are cooking for but KCBS allows garnish which makes the box look less stark. If you spray with a mix of apple juice and corn syrup/maple syrup it would make your product shine. Here is one of ours from New Holland PA that came in 6 th, it was taken before we sprayed the "glow wax" on it.

http://www.lostnationvt.com/newholland05.htm

Rich Decker
Lost Nation Smoke Company

Sorry, here goes...

Chunks are too large
indiscriminate rub all over, visible on meat and on box
meat looks dry
perhaps a spritz of apple juice for sheen or juice from the meat
lacks eye appeal, doesn't jump out at me and yell "EAT ME"

Just trying to help.

Don't worry about your comments guys... I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to 'hear' them. First time doing this and want to know more.

SC BBQ Association doesn't allow garnish.

You're right there are some areas with a heavier amount of rub.

I 'think' the rub on the box got wiped off before turn in.

It had some of my ('sort of' Lex. NC) sauce on it... but drizzled not sprayed on.

Meat didn't taste dry. But will add something so it doesn't look dry in future.

We had the pulled pieces sitting on a bed of chopped to give the judges choices of what they wanted to try.

Once again... thanks for the comments.

Chris, The rub on box is a no - no. Nobody used a garnish so that wouldn't be an issue. Doesn't look as dry as most said, if you look you can see a little sheen. I didn't taste it, so can't give you thought on that, but the rub on it just at the end could hurt your texture. If it doesn't desolve, it will give a gritty texture. Now if you sent me a sample, I'll let you know about taste.

Well I did the box, so Finney, looks like your lousy tasting bbq wasn't the only reason we were in the bottom half. Thanks for the honesty. We're learning.

I would have no problem with the larger chunks but the raw rub is problem as BobT said. The main thing is the what chunks to put in the box, I would not use any white muscles only the dark muscles for chunks (much more moisture in those muscles).
Jim

8 butts. 3 wsms holding 2 each, 2 left over we just threw on the gasser.
After conferring amongst ourselves, we chose Finney's to turn in. Hell, even I voted for it.

Back
Top Bottom