Pork loin or tenderloin on the WSM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
Anyone ever do the leaner cuts like pork loin or tenderoin on the WSM? If so, how have you done it?

wittdog said:
No water or sand in the pan and cook at a higher temp....

I've done tenderloin many times on the 22.5 One Touch Gold using direct and then indirect heat. Usually takes around 20-25 minutes if memory serves.

What temp would you recommend? Will sitting in the smoke at say 240 tend to dry the low fat tenderloin out?

brian j said:
wittdog said:
No water or sand in the pan and cook at a higher temp....
yea, or better yet in your kettle. :LOL:

That's really what I'm driving at. Is there much merit in using the WSM over the 22.5? I've been real happy with my 22.5 results, but, who knows, maybe there's a better way to do it on the WSM?

brian j said:
LowRent said:
That's really what I'm driving at. Is there much merit in using the WSM over the 22.5? I've been real happy with my 22.5 results, but, who knows, maybe there's a better way to do it on the WSM?
think of yourself as an archer... but instead of a special arrow for distance and another for close combat you have one cooker for fast hot cooking and another for longer cooler cooking in your quiver. :LOL:

What have you got cooling off in your quiver? [smilie=a_holyshit.gif] [smilie=eek2.gif]

Burnt Food Dude said:
Since its a leaner cut of pork, it doesn't need the low and slow cooking. Do it indirect on the kettle or gasser and add wood chip packet for flavor.

That's what I do except instead of a wood chip pack, I just throw a chunk of wood on the charcol.

Burnt Food Dude said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3mq9veua][quote="Burnt Food Dude":3mq9veua]Since its a leaner cut of pork, it doesn't need the low and slow cooking. Do it indirect on the kettle or gasser and add wood chip packet for flavor.

That's what I do except instead of a wood chip pack, I just throw a chunk of wood on the charcol.[/quote:3mq9veua]

Maybe its just me but I use the packet. If you put a chunk directly on the hot charcoal it may burn. Burning wood would add a soot flavor to the meat.[/quote:3mq9veua]

BFD...I throw chunks on my coals when I use the kettle all the time...however, I do put the top on and then the chunks smolder as it would in the WSM...cept it smolders faster do to the higher heat... :LOL: No soot!

I've used both chunks and chips. I generally prefer chunks for the longevity.

Back
Top Bottom