Pork Butts Rubbed and Ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Doing two pork butts on an overnighter tonight, total weight 15.67lbs.

I slathered both butts with mustard then rubbed one with Texas BBQ Rubs new "Wild" rub and the other with a 2:1 combo of Mary's Cherry and Smokin' Guns rub. Here are some early pics, notice the large spice chunks in the Wild rub...good tasting stuff.

All wrapped up in the refrig, will be using Kingsford with apple and sugar maple wood. More later.....

Bruce, why did you mix the Mary's? Used it before? I could give you my opinion now, but don't want to influence yours if you haven't used it before.

Most interested.

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce.............who's gonna belive you work for Wolfe Rub BBQ Seasonings?? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Captain Morgan said:
Bruce, why did you mix the Mary's? Used it before? I could give you my opinion now, but don't want to influence yours if you haven't used it before.

Most interested.

I remember your opinion Cap, so I posted the question over on BBQForum, because I know there are quite a few pwople over there that use it, if anyone has used it alone for pork butts on long cook. Several had but they seem to mix it with another rub that has some heat to it. Hardly anyone used it by itself, due to the sweetness of the rub.

I fired up the WSM and put the meat on at 9:30pm. At 10:30pm the temps have settled in at 232º as measured by my Nu-Temp probe about an inch below the top grate. They've been there for about a half hour now, hopefully I've got them dialed in for the night.

We will interrupt programming with further updates as the circumstances warrant. :LOL:

Last update of the night:

WSM holding fairly well, pretty windy here tonight.
241º at lid; 225º at top grate; meat at 145º

Good night all, see you in the morning.

Bruce, I usually buy a bunch of rubs at Xmas time to try. Mary's Cherry rub is the only one that I hated. I still go back to my regular rub but I like to experiment over the winter.

Good Morning Viet....oops wrong movie.

7:15am WSM at 218 at top grate pork butts at 167, don't know how long they've been there but it looks like it's plateau land. Stoked the coals and boy is there a lot of ash in there...Kingsford...oh yeah.

At this point if I lived in Virginia I'd be foiling the butts.

Pulled pork for lunch hopefully.

Doesn't sound like plateau land there Bruce. Kind of sounds like your fire pooped out and now you have to recover your heat. I have done the same damn thing. Get your pit temp up to about 265 and fillip them buts, That way the heat will stabilize in your butts and render any remaining fat. Guess I'm saying that you want your temp stable threw your butts .I'm guessing your doing these on a WSM. Just a WAG that got the job done for me.

I didn't feel I should be any more specific than "Virginian" you said Bill, I didn't. :LOL:

brian j said:
[quote="Bruce B":22b8vqpv]I didn't feel I should be any more specific than "Virginian" you said Bill, I didn't. :LOL:
i just want the record clean. not all of us use the texas crutch. :LOL:[/quote:22b8vqpv]

Yeah Brians right! Unless you're talking about a brisket or ribs! :oops:

Steer,

First time I've used it, just got it, I'll let you know by the end of the day though.

Bruce B said:
Steer,

First time I've used it, just got it, I'll let you know by the end of the day though.

Would like to hear how you like it.....how was the taste out of the bottle??

Back
Top Bottom