pork butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking like they are going to be good and smokey. Real nice old boy who run one of the local chain bbq joints used to love for me to heavy offset smoke him some butts. He could not do butts at work cuz they wasnt on the health goon list for him and he had one of those commercial Oylers which just turn everything to mush. The boy craved some real bbq:)

That is a real unique looking pit. Can't quite get a grasp on the injuneering as of yet..but any pit which puts the firebox under the meat where it belongs..gets an A from me. If it has outward opening doors and slide out racks gets it into the A plus range. Square to rectangular firebox gets the choice of either a smiley face or lady bug stamp on top of all the other stuff:)

Hogmeat described the design and construction of his smoker in this thread (<- that's a link!) but the attachments don't show up as pictures any more.

bigwheel said:
Looking like they are going to be good and smokey. Real nice old boy who run one of the local chain bbq joints used to love for me to heavy offset smoke him some butts. He could not do butts at work cuz they wasnt on the health goon list for him and he had one of those commercial Oylers which just turn everything to mush. The boy craved some real bbq:)
Have a place up here that uses one of those. Came from Texas I believe.
Not a good investment huh? :?

I think they are sorta like a Skil Saw. Somebody who know how to make it walk and talk can build you a nice house. Some knucklehead can use the same tool but only to make sawdust. We have some bbq joints who uses them down here. One guy has the next to the biggest they make and runs on wood only. All his stuff is way too dry. He finally started wrapping the ribs which was a real improvement from whut I heard. Actually the best improvement was the all you can eat catfish on Friday. Another place has a bit smaller version of the same gizmo. They over smoke the heck out of everything and float it in a steam table pan full of hot water to cut some of the smoke and keep it hot. When they get ready to serve they just fish one brisket..rack o ribs etc..out of the hot water and it is total mush. Another chain got a yet smaller one which just seems to poach the meat in a smoke environment..real low and slow and way too long. Serious big boy needs a Southern Pride or Ole Hickory. Now the Elvis of BBQ himself..aka Danny Gaulden..can make his Oyler walk and talk. Or makes that claim anyway:) Dont get the Little Red Smokehouse. It gets outgrown quick if a person is churning out some serious volume which is a requirement for making a living in that field.

Once again, you have answered questions about a Texas cooker to a T.
New Yawkers might interested too.

Back
Top Bottom