Pork Butt vid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monty3777

Senior Cook
I'm still having fun learning how to use this MAC. Here is a pork butt vid for kicks and giggles

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvChR2lS34M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvChR2lS34M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Typically the dome temp should be higher then the grate since heat rises...any ideas why yours is the opposite?

Nice video! 8)

Are you measuring temp from the top grate or bottom grate of your wsm ?

How close are the probes to the meat ?

Are your probes close to the edge of the smoker or somewhere in the middle ?

Did you leave space between the butts when you placed them on the smoker ?

Where both butts on the top grate or bottom grate ?

Edit: I took another look at the video and see that you may have placed one directly over another. I do believe that may be the culprit IF you were measuring temps from the bottom grate and the dome.

Cliff H. said:
Are you measuring temp from the top grate or bottom grate of your wsm ?

How close are the probes to the meat ?

Are your probes close to the edge of the smoker or somewhere in the middle ?

Did you leave space between the butts when you placed them on the smoker ?

Where both butts on the top grate or bottom grate ?

Edit: I took another look at the video and see that you may have placed one directly over another. I do believe that may be the culprit IF you were measuring temps from the bottom grate and the dome.

Here's what I have done to determine the temps. (I have done this several ties before so I didn't do it on this cook) I took the thermometer from the top vent and simply placed it through the top grate and waited 15 mins. The temp at the top grate - with the probe sticking through the grate was 225 while it was 200 at the vent.

Now, the proximity of the probe to the grate may have provided the higher temp - but still accurate. I also wonder if taking the thermometer from the vent cleared a vent hole and allowed the temp to rise because the vent was functioning with no interference.

In the past I have had trouble getting the WSM to 225 but I wonder if the issue is my thermometer. It is a cheap brinkman with a 2-3" probe.

Great video Monty...You seem to have the Mac under control.... Keep the videos coming!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom