Pork butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoked a butt Wednesday on the big cooker, along with 4 slabs of ribs. The butt was rubbed with Ninja Dust and refrigerated over night then cooked over pecan for 14 hours at 230 degrees. This thang had a bark that would tree a coon.
Probably the best one I've done yet..Thanks![attachment=1:egjk7ook]DSC00310.JPG[/attachment:egjk7ook][attachment=1:egjk7ook]DSC00310.JPG[/attachment:egjk7ook]

Attachments

• DSC00310.JPG
    DSC00310.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 685
  • DSC00312.JPG
    DSC00312.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 704
Butt looks great. I've never tried pecan, that's something that will have to come in the near future.

Pecan wood has a mild not so sweet flavor. It's not readily available in most parts. Luckily, I have access to it where I live.
It's a middle of the road wood. It tends not to over smoke the meat.

Fine looking butts. Pee can is supposed to be a kissing cousin slightly milder version of hickory. I have used quite a bit of it and it seems to share a trait with mesquite which is the flavor is dependent on the geography. I have three big ones out in my backyard and they provide a smell only slightly superior to card board boxes. On the other hand my old ex pal Burt from Jouston brought me a big load from down there and it smell absoloutely wonderful. Sorta like perfume. Now it has a reputation of not being a good producer of coals. Burns itself plumb up etc. Neva testesd the thesis but I would like an Oak base just for the heck of it. The best flavor from Pecan comes from the nutshells. It is also fairly easy to get over smoked with it in a real tight environment. The wood not the shells.

bigwheel

Maybe it's a particular characteristic of each tree. I don't know if there is a difference on the wood depending on region. I've had some pecan before that had a strong odor resembling locust. Not sure what happened there. This particular load of pecan hasn't got that strong of an odor. I'm glad of that.

Hmmm. I have cut and burnt a bunch of locust for the fireplace and neva did notice it have much of an odor at all. Now did not get brave enough to try cooking with it. So that might be where the rub come in:)

bigwheel

That's the biggest Butt I have seen on BBQ Central since Jb left.... Looks better too.... :)

Back
Top Bottom